Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Gustafson <tj...@soe.ucsc.edu> on 2009/07/13 23:26:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Memory Utilization

Hi,

I'm using Apache 2.2.3 with mod_php, mod_perl and mod_ssl (and all the other default Apache modules) on CentOS 5.3 with the preform MPM.  When running "top", I'm seeing about 500MB+ of virtual memory usage per httpd process.  The box has 8GB of physical RAM, and other than an occasional burp seems to be pretty speedy.  But I'm thinking that 500MB must be somehow wrong - that's a lot of memory!

I've Googled a bunch about Apache virtual memory usage, and I've seen a lot of people saying that their Apache process was using 90MB or 200MB, but I haven't seen anyone else saying that they're using 500MB.  I'm also not doing anything too spectacular in terms of fancy web-based applications or anything.  We use a lot of Drupal, but PHP's memory_limit is currently set to 128MB, so I don't think that PHP is using all that memory either.

I've tried commenting out mod_perl, which will be going away soon, and that does reduce the virtual memory load to about 400MB, but even that is still high.

I was wondering if anyone else on the list has seen similar numbers, and what might be done to fix it?

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@soe.ucsc.edu