Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2020/11/20 17:19:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Clarifying guidance around Signed-off-by in commit messages

Hi!

As most of you know, we've been using the "Signed-off-by: <name>
<email>" line in out commit messages more and more lately to indicate
who reviewed some change.

We've recently had an event in which one of these Signed-off-by lines
showed up with someone's name who didn't consider themselves to have
signed-off on the change. This is akin to saying someone gave a +1 for
some change when they did not. As an RTC community, that's worrisome.

I went reading the HBase book and was surprised to not find guidance on
how we expect this to work, so I'd like to have some discussion about
how we should treat these lines. I'll start this off by making
suggestions about what seems reasonable to me.

When a committer is applying some change in a commit:

* All individuals mentioned in a sign-off *must* be capable of giving a
binding vote (i.e. they are an HBase committer)
* Any individual in a sign-off *must* have given approval via an
explicit "+1" or the "Approved" via the Github Pull Request review function.
* Approval *must* be publicly visible and memorialized on the code
review (e.g. no private emails or chat message to give approval)
* The committer _should_ (not *must*) create a sign-off line for each
binding reviewer who gave approval

I think these are generally how we have been operating, but it would be
good to make sure they are documented as such.

Thoughts/concerns?

- Josh

Re: [DISCUSS] Clarifying guidance around Signed-off-by in commit messages

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Yeah, that's the intent of what Bharath had suggested and I liked. In
parallel, see other part of thread from Yu and Nick.

From: Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 11:37 AM
To: dev <de...@hbase.apache.org>

Posted by Jan Hentschel <ja...@ultratendency.com>.

From: Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 11:37 AM
To: dev <de...@hbase.apache.org>

Posted by Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
The ask of this thread was originally to change the semantics of
"signed-off-by" to only be "A committer who gave an explicit +1". That
was the ask from a community member and why I started this.

I want to tease this apart from the "reviewed-by" suggestion, as this
obviously needs a little more polishing. Specifically, this would change
what you had stated as what we "don't care about" today -- a committer
or community member can (today) be listed as the target of a Signed-off-by.

Are you OK with just the change of who can be listed in Signed-off-by,
Nick, while we continue to circle around on how to ensure contributor
reviews recognize merit? I would agree that we need to be sure that we
have the tooling in place to ensure that merit is assigned equally
(especially in a pull-request-centric world we now live in).

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Nice discussion here.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bharath Vissapragada <bh...@apache.org>.
Makes sense to me except a nit (inline).