Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2012/03/04 04:44:15 UTC

License/Notice Files

On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:37 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 29 February 2012 19:15, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Perso, I prefer using something which read pom and generate
>> automatically N&L from metadatas rather than maintaining those files
>> manually (for me manually means you always missed to add/modify :-) )
>> (but sure it's my POV)
>
> AFAICT that just moves the work from maintaining the N&L to creating
> and maintaining the metadata.
>
> It also means that the N&L files are not present in SVN (unless they
> are checked in after generation).

My preference here is also to have them generated. We want the metadata in the project descriptor to be valid anyway, and maintaining the templates for LICENSE and NOTICE would be handled by maintainers of the Apache resources. We don't have any dependencies requiring a notice, and if we do this should be covered with append-resources.

The files wouldn't be in SVN but will be in the distributed archives. Having this done automatically rather than by configuring each archiver will be easier to keep straight.

--
Jeremy

Re: License/Notice Files

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 March 2012 16:05, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> It looks like the source assembly that packages the source distributions will prefer files in the project over files from the remote resources bundle. So is we rename LICENSE.txt to just LICENSE there will only be one copy and it will be the one from this project. I'm going to do that for the files in the root of each trunk so that they will be in the top level of anything checked out from SVN, and remove the ones further down the directory tree leaving it to the plugin to add them to each distribution. If in the future we add dependencies with notice requirements we can add that to the particular module at that time.

OK, great.

Re: License/Notice Files

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: License/Notice Files