Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Takashi Sato <ta...@lans-tv.com> on 2008/11/07 13:07:55 UTC

Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated

The attached patch stops noting down a outdated warning to XML of translations.

At present, if a translation is outdated, such warning is written to XML of translations:
<!-- English Revision: 659902:686549 (outdated) -->

Because of this if we modify an English doc all translations of it are changed too.
This warning is somewhat useful, but IMHO this is more harmful.
I don't want to see lots of "update transformations" logs.
http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/mpm_common.xml.ja?view=log
If you want to know whether a translation up-to-date or not, you can see meta file or generated HTML.

Regards,
Takashi

Re: Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated

Posted by Takashi Sato <ta...@lans-tv.com>.
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:06:21 +0100
André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> wrote:

> * Nick Kew wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:07:55 +0900
> >
> > Takashi Sato <ta...@lans-tv.com> wrote:
> > > The attached patch stops noting down a outdated warning to XML of
> > > translations.
> >
> > +1 in principle
> > -0 to this exact patch
> >
> > I agree with what you're trying to do.  But I'd be more
> > enthusiastic about it if we added a mechanism to flag that
> > a translation is indeed grossly outdated.
> >
> > At its simplest, perhaps something like:
> > * Document last updated 2008-05-17
> > * [foo] translation last updated 2006-11-03
> >
> > would indicate a document likely to be out of date, whereas
> >
> > * Document last updated 2008-05-17
> > * [foo] translation last updated 2008-11-03
> >
> > tells the reader the translation is current.

Interesting.
This is convenient for readers.

> In case this isn't clear, the comment to be removed is not for readers, but
> a working note for translators. Additionally (read: conveniently) it's the
> source for the "outdated" trigger in the transformation process, but that's
> a different thingy.

Agreed.

Re: Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Nick Kew wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:07:55 +0900
>
> Takashi Sato <ta...@lans-tv.com> wrote:
> > The attached patch stops noting down a outdated warning to XML of
> > translations.
>
> +1 in principle
> -0 to this exact patch
>
> I agree with what you're trying to do.  But I'd be more
> enthusiastic about it if we added a mechanism to flag that
> a translation is indeed grossly outdated.
>
> At its simplest, perhaps something like:
> * Document last updated 2008-05-17
> * [foo] translation last updated 2006-11-03
>
> would indicate a document likely to be out of date, whereas
>
> * Document last updated 2008-05-17
> * [foo] translation last updated 2008-11-03
>
> tells the reader the translation is current.

In case this isn't clear, the comment to be removed is not for readers, but
a working note for translators. Additionally (read: conveniently) it's the
source for the "outdated" trigger in the transformation process, but that's
a different thingy.

nd

Re: Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:07:55 +0900

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Takashi Sato wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:49:03 +0000
>
> Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> > André Malo wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > > The whole point of the comment is to see which exact revisions of the
> > > original file you have to diff to see the changes.
> > >
> > > -1.
> >
> > Agreed,
> >
> > Very useful for diff's as Andre says.
> >
> > -1
>
> I don't mean to drop the whole comment.
> I just want to drop ":xxxxxx (outdated)".
>
> I don't see usefulness of ":xxxxxx (outdated)" since whether it is
> reliable depends on whether someone commit transformations.
>
> We can specify the revision HEAD:
> svn diff -r 600000:HEAD sitemap.xml
> People who don't use subversion client can open the original file to see
> the current revision.

I see...
The reason for the second revision is to avoid race conditions. Translators
don't always keep up with the current checkins. So the suggested workflow
behind all this is:

- svn diff -r<pasted> <originalfile> | <viewer>
- <editor> translatedfile
  - update
  - delete revision before colon
- (build validate-xml)
- checkin
- update transformation (the comment is adjusted)
- checkin

The update phase is arbitrarily long and we had it already that the original
was updated in the meantime.

The next time the repos is updated and the transformation is run for the
particular language, the comment is adjusted again.

And the (outdated) comment can be grepped for.

Hope that explains better the intentions. Maybe we should document that
better.

nd

Re: Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated

Posted by Takashi Sato <ta...@lans-tv.com>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
André Malo wrote:

[SNIP]

> The whole point of the comment is to see which exact revisions of the
> original file you have to diff to see the changes.
>
> -1.

Agreed,

Very useful for diff's as Andre says.

-1

Tony Stevenson
tony@pc-tony.com  //  pctony@apache.org
http://www.pc-tony.com/

1024D/51047D66 ECAF DC55 C608 5E82 0B5E  3359 C9C7 924E 5104 7D66

Re: Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.