Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@lucene.com> on 2003/04/09 19:12:59 UTC

JavaCC

I wonder if we should change the way we use JavaCC so that folks who
don't change the query parser or standard analyzer don't have to
download JavaCC.

To implement this, we could check JavaCC output files into CVS, like we
do Anakia output.  Then we'd add a build target (or targets) to run
JavaCC and generate these files.  The "compile" target would no longer
depend on JavaCC.

This would make development for folks modifying the query parser or
standard analyzer slightly more complex.  These folks would need to use
a command like 'ant javacc compile' instead of simply 'ant compile', but
that does not seem too great a burden.

Thoughts?

Doug

Re: JavaCC

Posted by Scott Ganyo <sc...@etapestry.com>.
I like it.  That would alleviate a fairly common question/problem for
newbies.

BTW:  Perhaps a more complete way (but more complex way) would be to
check in the JavaCC output files as you proposed.  But then do the
necessary dependency checking between the JavaCC source and output files
before attempting to check for the presence of JavaCC.  That way, if the
JavaCC source files haven't been touched, the compile would work fine.
If the JavaCC source files *have* changed, the build could check for
JavaCC at that time and give the error if it didn't exist.  This way we
wouldn't need to specify a separate Ant target for JavaCC.

Scott