Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by MG <mg...@arscreat.com> on 2021/03/01 17:41:13 UTC

groovy-3.0.7 & groovy-2.5.14 IntelliJ build => Groovyc: Internal groovyc error: code 1 ?

Hi,

I tried to do a spike to switch the (large) IntelliJ build-based* Groovy
project I am working on to from Groovy 2.5.10 to the current Groovy 3
release (3.0.7) today, but immediately got a "Groovyc: Internal groovyc
error: code 1" that (contrary to previous times I encountered that
error) did not go away through a rebuild of the current module or the
whole project.

The same problem then occurred with the current Groovy 2.5 release (2.5.14).

I have now created a minimal IntelliJ Groovy project, that contains a
single test that outputs the Groovy version - and to my surprise this
still gives "Groovyc: Internal groovyc error: code 1" in the 'Builder
"Groovy stub generator" requested rebuild of module chunk
"GroovyMinimal"' phase...
The minimal project builds & runs without problems when switching back
to Groovy 2.5.10.

My complete build environment is:
IntellliJ 2020.2.3
AdoptOpenJDK jdk-11.0.10.9-hotspot (same behavior when using 11.0.10.5)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 19041.804)
Groovy 2.5.10 (works) / 2.5.14 (fails) / 3.0.7 (fails) respectively
(Hardware: Intel i5 CPU, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD)

The project consists only of the (non-global) respective Groovy library
dependency, and the following Groovy test file (for simplicity I use the
JUnit that comes with this particular IntelliJ version in the minimal
project):

package minimal.groovy

import org.junit.Ignore import org.junit.Test class MinimalTest {
  @Test @Ignore void test() {
   println"Grooovy: ${GroovySystem.version}" }
}

Is this a known problem ? If not, feedback from other Groovy users would
be appreciated. I am evidently trying to find a solution to this
problem, but also to discern the extent of it: E.g. does it also occur
when using Maven or Gradle as a build system (which would surprise me,
since that is what most people use) ? If your build works fine with
Groovy 2.5.14 / 3.0.7, what is your build environment ?

Thanks, cheers,
mg

*Since the question typically pops up: The environment I work in does
not allow access to build repositories on the internet, and it is not
possible to automatically mirror repositories locally, and we have no
complicated build steps, so using Gradle (or Maven) would have no real
advantage for us, so we use the build system that is best integrated
with our IDE and has good (apart from some minor hickups) minimal
rebuild support, etc, i.e. an IntelliJ build.

groovy-3.0.7 build error: StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
...that must have been the weirdest bug I ever tracked down (did not
help that it was smack in the middle of a big class inside our largest
module):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-9966

Issue 9966 feels like a fitting number for this one; fortunately error
conditions are so special (feels like a quantum superposition), that it
is really easy to work around, once found... ;-)

Cheers,
mg

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.

Re: groovy-3.0.7 & groovy-2.5.14 IntelliJ build => Groovyc: Internal groovyc error: code 1 ?

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.