Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Judah Frangipane <ju...@t8design.com> on 2006/03/13 21:21:17 UTC

Create folders on initial checkout

Is there a way to make a repository create initial empty folders on the
first check out?

We want to checkout a repository to a website directory and have it
create "template" directories like, "images, uploadfiles" etc. But we
don't want anything in those directories to be committed to the
repository.

Judah

Re: Create folders on initial checkout

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 13, 2006, at 22:21, Judah Frangipane wrote:

> Is there a way to make a repository create initial empty folders on
> the first check out?
>
> We want to checkout a repository to a website directory and have it
> create “template” directories like, “images, uploadfiles” etc.But
> we don’t want anything in those directories to be committed to the
> repository.

So create the directories and check them into the repository. Just
don't check in their contents. You can set the svn:ignore property of
those directories to "*" to make Subversion ignore (and subsequently
not check in) anything in those directories.

FWIW, in our web projects, we've stayed away from putting system-
generated or uploaded files anywhere within the working copy. We
subscribe to the idea that the working copy is transient and
expendable, and that it should be perfectly fine to obliterate a
working copy and get a fresh one from the repository. If we were to
store uploaded files inside the production server's working copy,
handling the working copy that way would be fatal. And we want to be
able to treat the working copy that way, so we store essential data
like uploaded files somewhere separate.