Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <o....@dplanet.ch> on 2003/02/19 17:07:40 UTC

What about optional components?

Adrian (and all)

I agree that with you about keeping HttpClient JVM independent and
reasonably generic. Clearly proxy detection should be kept outside
HttpClient package IMHO.

But you know what? Maybe HttpClient have matured well enough so that we
have reached the point where we should start (thinking about) collecting
contributions or optional packages (pretty much in the same manner Ant
is structured into core & optional packages) that are not officially an
integral part of HttpClient, nevertheless useful enough to be made
available to the public? Would it be worthwhile having a greater ecology
around HttpClient? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Oleg

Re: What about optional components?

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.
Thats a fine idea.  I'm all for it.
+1

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Sounds like a good plan.  I was thinking we might want to include the
contrib code in the source distribution.  It would be more convenient
for users and I think it would help to promote code contribution.

Mike

+1

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.
+1

Very much appreciated.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <o....@dplanet.ch>.
Jandalf

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Sounds like a fine idea Oleg.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.
Max Voelkel wrote:
>   - a Cache (mentioned a while ago on the list)
>   - Proxy-Detection

okay

>   - Some kind of "User-Agent" on top of HttpClient which:
>      - handles Framesets (return urls of subframes)
>      - possibly parses FORM-Tags
>      - eventually handles JavaScript-Code and
>        return the complete page (with document.write()-statements
>        executed).
>      - many more dreams here ...

This has *nothing* to do with HTTP (the focus of HttpClient) at all -
that is only HTML. HTTP is much more than transporting HTML!

HTML Parsers are already available for Java. No need for us to build one
into HttpClient. If anything then a HTTP Parses should go as a new
project under Commons or even Jakarta.

Odi

Re: What about optional components?

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.
>  - a Cache (mentioned a while ago on the list)

A possibility, but likely more re-usable as a seperate project (there is
currently the beginnings of a cache in the sandbox, but appears idle)

>  - Proxy-Detection

Another possibility

>  - Some kind of "User-Agent" on top of HttpClient which:
>     - handles Framesets (return urls of subframes)
>     - possibly parses FORM-Tags
>     - eventually handles JavaScript-Code and
>       return the complete page (with document.write()-statements
>       executed).
>     - many more dreams here ...

This is definately outside the scope of httpclient.  Remember that
HttpClient is HTTP (which is complex enough).  HTML parsing and handling
would be a seperate project.

>  I guess the generic User-Agent-part might become the next bigger
>  project that leverages HttpClients functionality. Although it will
>  need a lot of discussion to be generic & usefull enough for many
>  people.

Cool idea.  Think through the functionality that is required, and divide
into packages.
1) http connectivity
2) cache
3) html parsing
4) javascript parsing

Re: What about optional components?

Posted by Max Voelkel <ma...@xam.de>.
Hi Oleg and all,

  I am using HttpClient for my diploma thesis and read this list for
  two months now. I guess, there is really the demand for more optional
  components around HttpClient, like:

  - a Cache (mentioned a while ago on the list)
  - Proxy-Detection
  - Some kind of "User-Agent" on top of HttpClient which:
     - handles Framesets (return urls of subframes)
     - possibly parses FORM-Tags
     - eventually handles JavaScript-Code and
       return the complete page (with document.write()-statements
       executed).
     - many more dreams here ...

  I guess the generic User-Agent-part might become the next bigger
  project that leverages HttpClients functionality. Although it will
  need a lot of discussion to be generic & usefull enough for many
  people.

Max