Posted to dev@directmemory.apache.org by Benoit Perroud <be...@noisette.ch> on 2012/03/02 08:15:03 UTC

DIRECTMEMORY-9

Hi All,

Now with DIRECTMEMORY-40 done and a new slab's style allocator, I
wonder if DIRECTMEMORY-9 is still relevant or if it could also be
closed.

Thanks,

Benoit.

Re: DIRECTMEMORY-9

Posted by Benoit Perroud <be...@noisette.ch>.
Right, thanks.

--
sent from my Nokia 3210

Re: DIRECTMEMORY-9

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com>.
Hi Benoit,

Though i should explain why i dont think issue 9 can be closed yet.

Conceived reason why it still is needed in my mind.

So buffer space is as such after loading it with some data
Pointer	Size	State
1		1m		full
2		2m		full
3		1m		full
4		2m		full
5		1m		full
6		2m		full
7		1m		full

I then free, pointers, 1,3,5 and 7.
Pointer	Size	State
1		1m		free
2		2m		full
3		1m		free
4		2m		full
5		1m		free
6		2m		full
7		1m		free

I then want to put 2m in the cache. I cant but there is 4m actually avail, needs defrag.

So atm im -1 for closing this story, i think the merging memory is a great idea, as it gives a quick win, without a more expensive defrag, but still think a defrag routine or algo is needed for the above.

Re: DIRECTMEMORY-9

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com>.
Forgot to add, best place to start looking is DirectMemoryMapTest and DirectMemoryMap, its just some simple wrappers of concurrentmap interface, as its good to test and compare against something well known, especially checking things like concurrency.

On 2 Mar 2012, at 08:37, Michael André Pearce wrote:

> Ive just added some sandbox ideas in a zip ive been playing with this week locally to directmemory-9, its not meant for inclusion, especially as its on the old memory buffer, and i agree that if we have something better we should just remove the old. But from it i want to just share some ideas and solutions ive found which could be migrated into the real project, whilst i would look to do this myself, i know i dont have time this weekend or next due to work commitments, as such just wanted to share with the team.
>
> I will pick back up probably in 2 weeks, and look to maybe implement some of  the solutions on the new buffers/latest code myself if it hasn't been, and propose inclusion, but if someone else picks up i wont be upset ;-)
>

> On 2 Mar 2012, at 08:12, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>
>> Great report Michael, thanks!
>> -Simo

>> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
>> http://www.99soft.org/
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Michael André Pearce
>> <mi...@me.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Benoit,
>>>
>>> Though i should explain why i dont think issue 9 can be closed yet.
>>>
>>> Conceived reason why it still is needed in my mind.
>>>
>>> So buffer space is as such after loading it with some data
>>> Pointer Size    State
>>> 1               1m              full
>>> 2               2m              full
>>> 3               1m              full
>>> 4               2m              full
>>> 5               1m              full
>>> 6               2m              full
>>> 7               1m              full
>>>
>>> I then free, pointers, 1,3,5 and 7.
>>> Pointer Size    State
>>> 1               1m              free
>>> 2               2m              full
>>> 3               1m              free
>>> 4               2m              full
>>> 5               1m              free
>>> 6               2m              full

Re: DIRECTMEMORY-9

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com>.

Re: DIRECTMEMORY-9

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.