Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Waycott <jw...@cox.net> on 2005/10/06 14:51:33 UTC

Would a proxy cache be worthwhile to improve checkout performance?

We are running subversion with repositories in the US and development
offices scattered throughout the world. I'm getting a lot of complaints
about slow performance, and there is a lot of pressure to move the
repositories to the remote offices. I'd rather keep the repository
centralized because of our security requirements and to simplify
administration.

One possibility to improve the times is to install squid in the remote
offices to cache the data. I remember reading a message back in
September from Ben that this may not make much difference because of the
way Subversion gets the data. Can anyone with exprieence using squid and
Subversion shed some kight on this? I don't want to install it and find
out it makes no difference.
----
Regards,

John Waycott

Re: Would a proxy cache be worthwhile to improve checkout performance?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On October 6, 2005 3:23:21 PM -0400 Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>
wrote:

> Here is the post I was thinking of:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=105318

In addition to that, there's the dav-mirror branch in SVN which resolves
Dan's issues (i.e. automatically rewrites the headers and such).  But, I
wrote that years ago and never got around to merging the mod_dav_svn
changes back into the trunk...  -- justin

Re: Would a proxy cache be worthwhile to improve checkout performance?

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com> wrote on 10/06/2005 03:18:00 PM:

> John Waycott <jw...@cox.net> wrote on 10/06/2005 10:51:33 AM:
>
> > One possibility to improve the times is to install squid in the remote

> > offices to cache the data. I remember reading a message back in
> > September from Ben that this may not make much difference because of
the

> I recall someone posting recently that you cannot just use Squid as a
> proxy with Subversion.  I think someone was working on some kind of
> solution though.

Here is the post I was thinking of:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=105318

Mark

Re: Would a proxy cache be worthwhile to improve checkout performance?

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
John Waycott <jw...@cox.net> wrote on 10/06/2005 10:51:33 AM:

> We are running subversion with repositories in the US and development
> offices scattered throughout the world. I'm getting a lot of complaints
> about slow performance, and there is a lot of pressure to move the
> repositories to the remote offices. I'd rather keep the repository
> centralized because of our security requirements and to simplify
> administration.
>
> One possibility to improve the times is to install squid in the remote
> offices to cache the data. I remember reading a message back in
> September from Ben that this may not make much difference because of the

> way Subversion gets the data. Can anyone with exprieence using squid and

> Subversion shed some kight on this? I don't want to install it and find
> out it makes no difference.

I recall someone posting recently that you cannot just use Squid as a
proxy with Subversion.  I think someone was working on some kind of
solution though.

Couldn't you just post some zipped working copies on their internal
servers that they use as a starting point?  They could just unzip the
working copy and run svn up to get up to date.

Mark