Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2002/01/09 23:21:35 UTC

[status] Cactus and Tomcat 3.3

We said we were going to deliver version 1.3 soon but it is still not
delivered. The main reason is that we found a very strange issue with
Tomcat 3.3. Sometimes, the Cactus tests were all passing ok and at some
other times they were failing (at least on my machine which is running
Windows XP but GUMP also had some issues on a unix operating system -
can't rememeber which).

Larry Isaacs from the Tomcat development team helped me to debug this
and we found a bug/strange behaviour. It happened that Tomcat 3.3 was
closing too fast some socket connection so that the client side of
Cactus was getting a "connection closed by peer" error message, making
some test fail.

Larry has patched the development version of Tomcat 3.3.1 to include a
delayCloseSocket attribute (see Tomcat 3.3.1 release notes) to be
specified in the Tomcat server.xml configuration file. It is now running
fine.

Morality ?

1/ This is the best demonstration than Cactus in-container testing
ability is able to find out complex bugs that would not appear if you
were testing outside a container (where all tests would run fine) ! :-).
To tell the truth, I am running the Cactus tests on about 6-7 different
containers and have already found several minor differences between the
different containers (in cookie handling notably).

2/ If you're having this problem with Tomcat 3.3 don't forget to either
upgrade to the latest nightly build or wait for the 3.3.1 release.
Alternatively you can also upgrade to Tomcat 4.x on which everything
runs fine.

Thanks
-Vincent