Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Babak Shafian <ba...@hotmail.com> on 2009/09/08 17:16:40 UTC

JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly!

Hi Volks,

just installed Maven with Ubuntu. After typing mvn --version I get the following message:

Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.
  We cannot execute /user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java

And I'm pretty sure that the JAVA_HOME is correctly set in etc/bash.bashrc:

export JAVA_HOME=/user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
export PATH=$PATH:/user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin

Do you have any idea what could be the problem??
BTW. I've searched through google and archives!

Thanks in advance
Babak

http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/products/photo-gallery-edit.aspx

RE: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly!

Posted by Babak Shafian <ba...@hotmail.com>.

> You DO need the JDK, not the JRE for some operations

But I've installed JDK. After executing sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk I get :

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
sun-java6-jdk is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 24 not upgraded.

It means that the JDK is already installed, isn't?

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i *thought* container rules applied to build environments

JDK needs to be installed to run javac and jasper-compiler
(mvn compiler:compile)

JRE needs to be installed to run the project
(mvn invoker:run -Dinvoker.test=some_project )

pls correct if i'm wrong on that rule
thanks,
Martin Gainty

http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009

RE: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly!

Posted by Babak Shafian <ba...@hotmail.com>.

> >> Does maven require a JDK and you are running a JRE?
> >>
> >> I'm running a basic "stock" install of Ubuntu Jaunty and haven't had
> >> any problems running maven.
> >
> > I've installed both JDK and JRE.
>
> Which is JAVA_HOME pointing to?

Thats the problem. I'm not sure about it(Whether it points to JDK or JRE). I've only found this directory /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.14
But when I execute whereis java I get the following :

java: /usr/bin/java /etc/java /usr/share/java /usr/share/man/man1/java.1.gz

Any idea??

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.
Babak Shafian wrote:

>> Does maven require a JDK and you are running a JRE?
>>
>> I'm running a basic "stock" install of Ubuntu Jaunty and haven't had
>> any problems running maven.
>
> I've installed both JDK and JRE.

Which is JAVA_HOME pointing to?

Sam

Posted by Babak Shafian <ba...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Babak Shafian wrote at Mittwoch, 9. September 2009 12:47:

>> To: users@maven.apache.org
>> From: joerg.schaible@gmx.de
>> Subject: RE: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly!
>> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:20:19 +0200
>>
>> Babak Shafian wrote at Dienstag, 8. September 2009 17:59:
>>

>> > Thanks for the quick response!

>> > Yes I tried and I get :
>> >
>> > java version "1.6.0_14"
>> > Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08)
>> > Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

>> > After executing that(if I understood you correctly) I get actually
>> > nothing special:
>> >
>> > root@ubuntu-jaunty-amd64-webtv:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin# java
>>
>> This does not mean that you have actually executed the java in that
>> directory. You have to call ./java for that.
>>
>> Therefore this is useless:
>>
>> > Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
>> >            (to execute a class)
>> >    or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
>> >            (to execute a jar file)
>
> After executing
> root@ubuntu-jaunty-amd64-webtv:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin# ./java I get
> the exact output :
>
> Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
>            (to execute a class)
>    or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
>            (to execute a jar file)
>
> Or do I miss a point?

If /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin is not in your path, you should have seen a
difference in that directory between calling

 java -version

and

 ./java -version

BTW: usr is an acronym for "Unix System Resources". Keeping that in mind
helps to differentiate between usr and user ... ;-)

RE: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly!

Posted by Babak Shafian <ba...@hotmail.com>.

> Hi,
>
> if every piece of information is correct, than I guess the problem is that
> in the bashrc file is the following:
> export JAVA_HOME=/user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
> export PATH=$PATH:/user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin
>
> and JAVA_HOME begins with /user and not /usr as in the following responses
> and try-outs.

Thanks a loooooooot. You saved me literally :-)
It was exact the problem. I had to write usr instead user sigh...
Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Best Regards
Babak

Posted by Balazs Tothfalussy <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Babak Shafian <ba...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Babak Shafian wrote at Dienstag, 8. September 2009 17:59:

> Thanks for the quick response!
>
>>did you try to run java -version ??>
>
> Yes I tried and I get :
>
> java version "1.6.0_14"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)
>

>> it seems, that JAVA_HOME is set correctly, at least maven complains that
>> it cannot run /user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java, while it has the
>> directory info apparently from JAVA_HOME. What happens if you want to
>> execute /user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java from the shell directly?
>>

> After executing that(if I understood you correctly) I get actually nothing
> special:
>
> root@ubuntu-jaunty-amd64-webtv:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin# java

This does not mean that you have actually executed the java in that
directory. You have to call ./java for that.

Therefore this is useless:

> Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
>            (to execute a class)
>    or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
>            (to execute a jar file)

- Jörg

RE: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly!

Posted by Babak Shafian <ba...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Ebbert-Karroum <eb...@codecentric.de>.
Hi,

it seems, that JAVA_HOME is set correctly, at least maven complains that it cannot run /user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java, while it has the directory info apparently from JAVA_HOME. What happens if you want to execute /user/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java from the shell directly?

Andreas

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.