Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2016/09/07 14:09:21 UTC

How to use these ApproveXYZ.xml scripts ;-)

Hi,

as I had to figgure this out myself in the train today, I thought I'd just post my findings here. Next time Google will directly me to my own mail again and I won't have to re-find-out ;-)

So all I had to do, was to download the ApproveXYZ.xml files posted in the release candidate directory.

As I never have any Environment Variables set, I created a little script to set them and call the Ant build:

#!/bin/sh

export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_79.jdk/Contents/Home

export ANT_HOME=/Users/christoferdutz/Devtools/Apache/apache-ant-1.9.4

export AIR_HOME=/Users/christoferdutz/Devtools/Adobe/AIR/22.0

export PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME=/Users/christoferdutz/Devtools/Apache/apache-flex-4.15.0/frameworks/libs/player

export FLASHPLAYER_DEBUGGER="/Users/christoferdutz/Devtools/Adobe/Flash/21.0/Flash Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player Debugger"

java -version

ant -f ApproveFlexJS.xml -Drelease.version=0.7.0 -Drc=1

One thing I noticed, was that it doesn't seem to like Java 8. The errors don't seem to provide any reference to Java 8.

The important thing is to use "-Drc=1" (for RC1) probably you have to count up in case of multiple release-candidates. If you omit this setting, the latest nightly build is loaded instead, which is not much use in the release process.

The script now seems to auto-download the source and binary release artifacts, checks their PGP keys and mainly uses Apache RAT to do some license checks on the artifacts, if these contain all the necessary resources. It also displays the content of README, NOTICE and other files for you to read and double-check. It asks you a lot of questions, which you can answer with "y" or "n", which really eases the manual labor of checking a release. After all is ok, it runs the complete build including tests.

In the end it outputs a lot of information, which usually other committers or PMCs post on the mailinglist.

Chris