Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com> on 2020/01/13 22:25:10 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Leveraging SQL TableProviders for Cross-Language IOs

Hi everyone,
I have a proposal that I think can unify two problem sets:
  1) adding more IOs for Beam SQL, and
  2) making more (Row-based) Java IOs available in Python as cross-language
transforms

The basic idea is to create a single cross-language transform that exposes
all Beam SQL IOs via the TableProvider interface. A design document is
available here: https://s.apache.org/xlang-table-provider

Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks!
Brian

[PROPOSAL] Abstractions for Schema-Aware IOs (Was: Leveraging SQL TableProviders for Cross-Language IOs)

Posted by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com>.
Hi everyone,
You may remember the proposal [1] I sent out early this year aiming to
unify Beam SQL Tables and Row-oriented cross-language IOs. I received a lot
of feedback that it was a good idea, but the specific implementation was a
little odd since it relied on existing Beam SQL concepts.

I've re-written the proposal with a different approach: adding a new set of
interfaces to the core Beam Java SDK [2]. These interfaces can be used for
both Beam SQL Tables, as well as for cross-language IOs. Please take a look
and let me know what you think!

Full disclosure: there is a Google intern starting this week that I would
like to have help out with this work once they are ramped up.

Thanks,
Brian

[1] https://s.apache.org/xlang-table-provider
[2] https://s.apache.org/beam-schema-io

Re: [PROPOSAL] Leveraging SQL TableProviders for Cross-Language IOs

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Nice! This is quite clever.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.