Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Gabriel Oberreuter <go...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/23 14:55:22 UTC

Using OFBiz with DB2 for i (AS400) database

Hi, I was trying to connect OFBiz to the database which is included in IBMi
operating system.
This database is "DB2 for i", and as DERBY (the db OFBiz includes and uses
by default) was bought by IBM and certified with its own db, I thought it
shouldn't be so hard to use DB2 for i instead.
I had to do the following:

- copy the file framework\entity\fieldtype\fieldtypederby.xml into the new
framework\entity\fieldtype\fieldtypedb2fori.xml file
- replace sql-type="DOUBLE" with sql-type="FLOAT" (DB2 for i specification
names FLOAT to DOUBLES)
- create the db2fori entry in framework\entity\config\entityengine.xml
(copying the entries of derby) and pointing to the new file, as with the
other databases
- include lib for db2fori connection (I used jt400-6.7.jar): copied into
framework\entity\lib\jdbc
- also, schemas have to be manually created (I don't know if there is a
command to create schemas automatically if they don't exist as ofbiz does
with derby db)
	(create schema OFBIZ, create schema OFBIZOLAP, create schema OFBIZTENAN)

doing this, and configuring entityengine.xml accordingly, I could use OFBiz
with DB2 for i, the database that comes with IBMi systems.

Just informing this as some other could find this useful. Also, is this
worth to consider it as a modification to ofbiz to make it more generic?

Cheers!

Re: Using OFBiz with DB2 for i (AS400) database

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for update Robert, this is great to see evidence that OFBiz scales
for large set of data.
The performance issue you had, could you please share its details. As far
as I know OFBiz can handle millions of products without any issue. Like
what you have setup in the cache and how it helps you to resolve your
performance problem.

Also do you need any external tool to resolve it or OFBiz was capable to do
that after setting the cache etc.

May be you like to share your experience with community on how easy or
difficult it was to overcome from the problem you were having.

Best Regards,
--
Rishi Solanki
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.

Posted by robertpic <ro...@odoerfer.com>.
>>Or is that a legacy system?
Yes. We use an self-made ERP on this system for ~ 350 Users.  Most parts of
the ERP working with "green screen/telnet".

Why we chosse ofbiz?
- it can handle all our needs (multishop, variants....)
- very clean overrides for i.e. own prices --> override event, extend Event
- well known technology (J2EE)

why we use db2/as400?
- for seamless integration with our greenscreen ERP (Cobol/RPG could
read/update ofbiz data)
- our db2 is clustered

Re: Using OFBiz with DB2 for i (AS400) database

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for the update Robert,

I wish you best luck for the production release

Jacques

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

Just out of curiosity, are you folks actually running DB2 on an IBM
AS/400 machine?

I didn't know those still exist, any reason why you chose this
architecture in the first place? Or is that a legacy system?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@Les7Arts.com>.
Hi Robert,

I haved copied your proposition for the DB2 data source at r1730616. Please
check, thanks!

Re: Using OFBiz with DB2 for i (AS400) database

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Robert,

I will document on this basis

Jacques

Posted by robertpic <ro...@odoerfer.com>.
Jacques Le Roux wrote

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gabriel, Robert,

A JIRA issue already exists. See

Please feel free to share your solution as a patch to that issue and I am
sure it will get reviewed and committed.

Best regards.

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

Jacques

Re: Using OFBiz with DB2 for i (AS400) database

Posted by Gabriel Oberreuter <go...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. Then I will file a Jira ticket (hopefully doing it right, never
done that before).

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM, adrian.crum [via OFBiz] <
ml-node+s135035n4650637h96@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> For the most part, that is the normal configuration process. I am
> surprised we don't have a fieldtype.xml file for DB2. Please feel free
> to create a Jira ticket and include your DB2 fieldtype.xml file.
>
> Adrian Crum
> Sandglass Software
> www.sandglass-software.com
>
> On 4/23/2014 5:55 AM, Gabriel Oberreuter wrote:
>
> > Hi, I was trying to connect OFBiz to the database which is included in
> IBMi
> > operating system.
> > This database is "DB2 for i", and as DERBY (the db OFBiz includes and
> uses
> > by default) was bought by IBM and certified with its own db, I thought
> it
> > shouldn't be so hard to use DB2 for i instead.
> > I had to do the following:
> >
> > - copy the file framework\entity\fieldtype\fieldtypederby.xml into the
> new
> > framework\entity\fieldtype\fieldtypedb2fori.xml file
> > - replace sql-type="DOUBLE" with sql-type="FLOAT" (DB2 for i
> specification
> > names FLOAT to DOUBLES)
> > - create the db2fori entry in framework\entity\config\entityengine.xml
> > (copying the entries of derby) and pointing to the new file, as with the
> > other databases
> > - include lib for db2fori connection (I used jt400-6.7.jar): copied into
> > framework\entity\lib\jdbc
> > - also, schemas have to be manually created (I don't know if there is a
> > command to create schemas automatically if they don't exist as ofbiz
> does
> > with derby db)
> > (create schema OFBIZ, create schema OFBIZOLAP, create schema OFBIZTENAN)
> >
> > doing this, and configuring entityengine.xml accordingly, I could use
> OFBiz
> > with DB2 for i, the database that comes with IBMi systems.
> >
> > Just informing this as some other could find this useful. Also, is this
> > worth to consider it as a modification to ofbiz to make it more generic?
> >
> > Cheers!
> >

> > --

> .
> NAML<http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

--
Gabriel Oberreuter
Mobile: +56 9 85299198
Innovandio S.A.

Re: Using OFBiz with DB2 for i (AS400) database

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Gabriel,

There have been questions posted in the past about db2 support. If you
would file an improvement/new feature JIRA and provide patches, I am sure
these enhancements would be regarded as welcome.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-