Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by David DeMizio <dd...@ncf.edu> on 2014/06/05 16:08:51 UTC

Local storage

Hello,

We have two servers with local Solid state storage in both of them that I
would like to start testing with VCL. Currently, I am using vsphere 5.5
with the vcl vmware module to provision my nodes by using a SAN. Of course
if I plan to test VCL just using the local SSD drives than I will lose the
ability of vmotion, at least I think I will because each server will not
have access to the other servers SSDs. Can I still use the vmware module if
I go this route? Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

-Dave

Re: Local storage

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
Re: space issues, I have yet to encounter problems with the VM Working directory path -- its usage tends to stay pretty constant (it's more or less a function of the number of running computers). The Virtual Disk path, on the other hand, is constantly filling up (and having to be managed).

As for whether to put the Virtual Disk path on SSDs or to use that for the VM Working directory path, I would encourage you to look at the actual data utilization patterns of your existing infrastructure, when you encounter high I/O latency and what the patterns are for read and write operations. Keep in mind that the Virtual Disk path will primarily be used for read operations while the VM Working directory will be both read and write. And the more concurrent reservations you have running, the more obvious the numbers will be.

In our experience, we encountered more I/O bottlenecks on the VM Working directory during heavy loads of classroom use until we put the VM Working directory onto a faster disk backend (the Virtual Disk path is on comparatively slower disk). But I would encourage you to make that determination based on what you observe in your infrastructure.

Regards,
Aaron Coburn

Re: Local storage

Re: Local storage

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
The main advantage to using NFS comes if you are exposing the repository path to other, remote management nodes, especially if those nodes wouldn't ordinarily have direct access to your SAN (i.e. over iSCSI, etc).

Aaron Coburn

Re: Local storage

Posted by David DeMizio <dd...@ncf.edu>.
Hello,

Re: Local storage

Re: Local storage

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: Local storage

Posted by Mike Haudenschild <mh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

No, we don't have these hosts in vCenter as they're running under a free
ESXi 4.1 license.

The two quotes you have from my earlier message echo what I wrote re:
"virtual disk path" and "VM working directory path" earlier this morning.

Regards,
Mike

Re: Local storage

Posted by David DeMizio <dd...@ncf.edu>.
Thanks Mike,

Re: Local storage

Posted by Mike Haudenschild <mh...@gmail.com>.
If a low-RAM/over-provisioned host was doing a lot of swapping out to disk
I could see there being a more significant advantage to that.  The Virtual
Disk Path contains the image being booted and run by each running VM, so
the end-user benefits from fast random reads both in cases where an image
would need to boot and in application startup time during a reservation.

Re: Local storage

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
Mike,

Re: Local storage

Posted by Mike Haudenschild <mh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

Re: Local storage

Posted by David DeMizio <dd...@ncf.edu>.
Thanks Mike.

Re: Local storage

Posted by Mike Haudenschild <mh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

Re: Local storage

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
> For your hosts with local storage do you use NFS share for your golden images?

Yes. (there's no need to put the golden images on SSDs)

> So from what I have gathered so far, each esxi host will have it's own VM Working Directory Path (local ssd storage).

Correct.

> Also, each host will always run the same virtual machines whereas with shared storage and using vcenter host profile, it may put the virtual machine on any host in the cluster.

Also correct.

> I'm just trying to picture how vcl will work when a user request an image? How will VCL know which esxi hosts to connect to, to create the virtual machine?

If I remember correctly, when a user makes a reservation request, that request is assigned to a particular computer id. This determination depends on which resources a particular user has access to (image groups, computer groups, management node groups, etc), and on which computers may have that image preloaded. From the computerid, vcld determines which management node handles that request and also which vm host  controls that particular computer.

Hope that helps,

Aaron

Re: Local storage

Posted by David DeMizio <dd...@ncf.edu>.