Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> on 2018/08/06 17:34:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Alpha Release of Ozone

Hi All,

I would like to discuss creating an Alpha release for Ozone. The core
functionality of Ozone is complete but there are two missing features;
Security and HA, work on these features are progressing in Branches
HDDS-4 and HDDS-151. Right now, Ozone can handle millions of keys and
has a Hadoop compatible file system, which allows applications like
Hive, Spark, and YARN use Ozone.

Having an Alpha release of Ozone will help in getting some early
feedback (this release will be marked as an Alpha -- and not production
ready).

Going through a complete release cycle will help us flush out Ozone
release process, update user documentation and nail down deployment models.

Please share your thoughts on the Alpha release (over mail or in
HDDS-214), as voted on by the community earlier, Ozone release will be
independent of Hadoop releases.

Thanks a lot,
Marton Elek

Re: [DISCUSS] Alpha Release of Ozone

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.
+1. Good to see the progress here and would like to try Ozone on real
cluster.

Thanks,

Junping

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.
Thank you all the feedback about the first ozone release.

I just cut ozone-0.2 branch from trunk.

This will be the base of the first ozone release.

I changed ozone/hdds version on the trunk to 0.3.0-SNAPSHOT.

Marton

Posted by "Chen, Sammi" <sa...@intel.com>.
+1.
Looking forward to try the fresh Ozone release.

Bests,
Sammi

Posted by "Chen, Sammi" <sa...@intel.com>.
+1.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks for reporting this issue. I have filed a JIRA to address this issue.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDDS-341

>So, consider this as a report. IMHO, cutting an Ozone release prior to a Hadoop release ill-advised given the distribution impact and the requirements of the merge vote.

The Ozone release is being planned to address issues like these; In my mind if we go thru a release exercise, we will be able to identify all ozone and Hadoop related build and release issues.
Ozone will tremendously benefit from a release exercise and the community review that comes from that.

Thanks
Anu

On 8/8/18, 1:19 PM, "Allen Wittenauer" <aw...@effectivemachines.com> wrote:

    > On Aug 8, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone verified that a Hadoop release doesn't have _any_ of the extra ozone bits that are sprinkled outside the maven modules?
    > As far as I know that is the state, we have had multiple Hadoop releases after ozone has been merged. So far no one has reported Ozone bits leaking into Hadoop. If we find something like that, it would be a bug.

    	There hasn't been a release from a branch where Ozone has been merged yet. The first one will be 3.2.0.  Running create-release off of trunk presently shows bits of Ozone in dev-support, hadoop-dist, and elsewhere in the Hadoop source tar ball.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.
> Given that there are some Ozone components spread out past the core maven modules, is the plan to release a Hadoop Trunk + Ozone tar ball or is more work going to go into segregating the Ozone components prior to release?
The official release will be a source tarball, we intend to release an ozone only binaries to make it easy to for people to deploy. We are still formulating the plans and you are welcome to leave your comments on HDDS-214.

> Has anyone verified that a Hadoop release doesn't have _any_ of the extra ozone bits that are sprinkled outside the maven modules?
As far as I know that is the state, we have had multiple Hadoop releases after ozone has been merged. So far no one has reported Ozone bits leaking into Hadoop. If we find something like that, it would be a bug.

Thanks
Anu

On 8/8/18, 12:04 PM, "Allen Wittenauer" <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID> wrote:

    Given that there are some Ozone components spread out past the core maven modules, is the plan to release a Hadoop Trunk + Ozone tar ball or is more work going to go into segregating the Ozone components prior to release? Has anyone verified that a Hadoop release doesn't have _any_ of the extra ozone bits that are sprinkled outside the maven modules?

Re: [DISCUSS] Alpha Release of Ozone

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G <ha...@gmail.com>.
It is reaching to a great milestone.
+1 Looking forward to see its first release.

Regards,
Uma

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.

答复: [DISCUSS] Alpha Release of Ozone

Posted by "Lin,Yiqun(vip.com)" <yi...@vipshop.com>.
+1, looking forward to seeing the Ozone/HDDS, : ).

+1,  It will allow many users to get a first look at Ozone/HDDS.

Thanks
Anu

On 8/6/18, 10:34 AM, "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> wrote:

[...]

B�KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB��[��X��ܚX�KK[XZ[
���Y]�][��X��ܚX�PY��
�\X�K�ܙ�B��܈Y][ۘ[��[X[��K[XZ[
���Y]�Z[Y��
�\X�K�ܙ�B�
本电子邮件可能为保密文件。如果阁下非电子邮件所指定之收件人,谨请立即通知本人。敬请阁下不要使用、保存、复印、打印、散布本电子邮件及其内容,或将其用于其他任何目的或向任何人披露。谢谢您的合作! This communication is intended only for the addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You are hereby notified that, if you are not an intended recipient listed above, or an authorized employee or agent of an addressee of this communication responsible for delivering e-mail messages to an intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this communication (including any attachments hereto) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by a reply e-mail addressed to the sender and permanently delete the original e-mail communication and any attachments from all storage devices without making or otherwise retaining a copy.

答复: [DISCUSS] Alpha Release of Ozone

Posted by "Chen, Sammi" <sa...@intel.com>.
+1.

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.