Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Seth Daniel <su...@sethdaniel.org> on 2011/08/19 01:27:06 UTC

update in 1.6.17 slower?

Hello,

Recently I upgraded from 1.6.9 to 1.6.17.  'svn up' is very noticeably
slower than it used to be.  I didn't see anything in the CHANGES file
about signficant 'update' changes so I was wondering if this was expected?

With 1.6.9 I didn't turn off authz (even though I don't use it) but I
thought maybe it was the problem with 1.6.17.  No luck.  (btw, I'm using
Apache + https.  I turned *off* authz using SVNPathAuthz off).  checkout
and other operations are very snappy.

I am using default options when building subversion so I'm using neon.
It's neon 0.25 (comes with Centos 5.4).

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org

Re: update in 1.6.17 slower?

Posted by Seth Daniel <su...@sethdaniel.org>.
On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:10:46AM +0400, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 03:27, Seth Daniel
> <su...@sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently I upgraded from 1.6.9 to 1.6.17.  'svn up' is very noticeably
> > slower than it used to be.  I didn't see anything in the CHANGES file
> > about signficant 'update' changes so I was wondering if this was expected?
> >
> > With 1.6.9 I didn't turn off authz (even though I don't use it) but I
> > thought maybe it was the problem with 1.6.17.  No luck.  (btw, I'm using
> > Apache + https.  I turned *off* authz using SVNPathAuthz off).  checkout
> > and other operations are very snappy.
> >
> > I am using default options when building subversion so I'm using neon.
> > It's neon 0.25 (comes with Centos 5.4).
> >
> It could be related to the following change in Subversion 1.6.15:
> [[
>    * filter unreadable paths for 'svn ls' and 'svn co' (r997026, -070, -474)
> ]]
>
> Log message for revision r997026  is:
> [[[
> For issue #3709 ("Inconsistency between "svn list" and "svn
> checkout"), teach the mod_dav_svn tree walker logic to authorize
> access to the paths it touches.
>
> * subversion/mod_dav_svn/repos.c
>  (do_walk): Replace a decade-old TODO about checking authorization on
>    a directory's children with, you know, code that checks
>    authorization on a directory's children.
> ]]]

Seems likely.  Thank you for the response.

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org

Re: update in 1.6.17 slower?

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.