Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Hao Ding <hd...@it.canterbury.ac.nz> on 2002/06/19 15:39:23 UTC

JSTL question

Why did I get this exception when running my JSP page?

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri
(http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the
jar files deployed with this application

I imported JSTL core library into my pages with the following directives:
<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>,
and copied JSTL jar files in the tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib directory.

Should I do anything else?

Thanks
Hao Ding
hdi12@student.canterbury.ac.nz

Re: JSTL question

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Shawn Bayern wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Hao Ding wrote:
>
> > Why did I get this exception when running my JSP page?
> >
> > org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri
> > (http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the
> > jar files deployed with this application
> >
> > I imported JSTL core library into my pages with the following directives:
> > <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>,
> > and copied JSTL jar files in the tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib directory.
> >
> > Should I do anything else?
>
> Depending on what version of Tomcat you're running, you may need to create
> a 'temp' directory underneath its root (i.e., at the same level as
> 'webapps' and 'work').  There's a bug in Tomcat that requires this
> directory to exist for Tomcat's machinery (re: locating TLDs in JARs) to
> function properly.

FYI, the requirement for a $CATALINA_HOME/temp directory isn't a bug.
The problem is that some previous distributions of Tomcat 4 did not
have the temp directory created as part of the distribution.

Relocating what directory the JVM uses as its tmpdir from the default
system /tmp to $CATALINA_HOME/temp is done for security reasons.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: JSTL question

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Hao Ding wrote:

> Why did I get this exception when running my JSP page?
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri
> (http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the
> jar files deployed with this application
>
> I imported JSTL core library into my pages with the following directives:
> <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>,
> and copied JSTL jar files in the tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib directory.
>
> Should I do anything else?

Depending on what version of Tomcat you're running, you may need to create
a 'temp' directory underneath its root (i.e., at the same level as
'webapps' and 'work').  There's a bug in Tomcat that requires this
directory to exist for Tomcat's machinery (re: locating TLDs in JARs) to
function properly.

Shawn