Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Pietro Moras <st...@hotmail.com> on 2012/03/27 17:03:40 UTC

Understanding PySvn – Where to start from?

In
need to understand what PySvn is all about (so to
compare it with Slik-Subversion I'm currently using), downloaded and
installed py27-pysvn-svn173-1.7.6-1457.exe and
pysvn-workbench-svn173-1.6.6-1460.exe, I haven't got a clue what to
do next.

Of
course I'm badly in need of some initial break-ice support. Could any
good soul be so kind to be of help?

Gratefully,
yours
 -
P.M.

RE: Understanding PySvn – Where to start from?

Posted by Pietro Moras <st...@hotmail.com>.
Dear
Vishwajeet,   Thanks
for your kind & quick answer.

 better if you can tell what are you trying to do   Well,
what I have got to do is simply to understand. Therefore, for
instance, you could describe me how you are possibly using PySvn
and/or WorkBench. I mean: not in detail, just in general terms. So to
offer me an idea how I could myself conveniently use and test it.
Thanks.See
you. -

Posted by vishwajeet singh <de...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Pietro Moras <st...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  In need to understand what PySvn is all about (so to compare it with
> Slik-Subversion I'm currently using), downloaded and installed
> py27-pysvn-svn173-1.7.6-1457.exe and pysvn-workbench-svn173-1.6.6-1460.exe,
> I haven't got a clue what to do next.

pysvn is alternative python binding for Subversion whereas slik svn is a
subversion client, people here can you help better if you can tell what are
you trying to do  ??

--
Vishwajeet Singh
+91-9657702154 | dextrous85@gmail.com | http://bootstraptoday.com

Re: Understanding PySvn – Where to start from?

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>.
Am 27.03.2012 19:00, schrieb Mark Phippard:
> If you are on Windows you should install TortoiseSVN (and the command
> line client).

Since at least 1.7, TortoiseSVN also packages the command line tools, so
you don't have to install them separately.

1. Install TSVN
2. Open a command prompt and type "svn --version" to check if the
commandline tools are properly installed.
3. Take a look at the online version of the SVN book. In its examples it
uses the commandline client.

After you went through the examples of the book you will have an
overview of how to use SVN. Doing that with the commandline or any other
client shouldn't be a problem then.

Concerning other clients, my experience is that there are many while
only a handful of them are actually in a state where you can use them.
When picking a client, there is always the chance that you picked one of
those that don't work properly, which can combine with your noobness to
a very frustrating experience.

My suggestion: Install TSVN and subscribe to its users' mailinglist for
further guidance.

Uli
Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Visit our website at http://www.dominolaser.com
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: Understanding PySvn – Where to start from?

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Pietro Moras <st...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>  -- PySvn as a Python API, clear enough.
>  -- Now I'd expect that WorkBench would be a ready-to-use (Windows?)
> program. But, so far, I haven't been able to run it, nor to find any
> practical documentation clearly describing what it is.
>    What am I missing? Something very primordial, I fear... Thanks.

I have never used it, so cannot say.

>>  such as TortoiseSVN
>    By the way, among some books recently received, I've spotted one about
> TortoiseSVN 1.7. Could it be of help starting from such book?

If you are on Windows you should install TortoiseSVN (and the command
line client).  I am not saying that is the only client to use, but you
should install it.  I do most work in Eclipse, so I use Subclipse but
I still use TortoiseSVN and the command line client too.  The beauty
of SVN is that you can mix all these clients on the same code provided
they are all the same major.minor version.

If this Python Workbench looks like a nice client to you, then use
that too.  I would try their mailing lists for help on getting it to
run.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: Understanding PySvn – Where to start from?

Posted by Pietro Moras <st...@hotmail.com>.

Dear Mark,
 -- PySvn as a Python API, clear enough.
 -- Now I'd expect that WorkBench would be a ready-to-use (Windows?) program. But, so far, I haven't been able to run it, nor to find any practical documentation clearly describing what it is.
   What am I missing? Something very primordial, I fear... Thanks.
See you.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Pietro Moras <st...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In need to understand what PySvn is all about (so to compare it with
> Slik-Subversion I'm currently using), downloaded and installed
> py27-pysvn-svn173-1.7.6-1457.exe and pysvn-workbench-svn173-1.6.6-1460.exe,
> I haven't got a clue what to do next.
>
> Of course I'm badly in need of some initial break-ice support. Could any
> good soul be so kind to be of help?

There is no comparison.

SlikSVN is the Subversion command line binaries compiled for Windows.
There are many such distributions available, they are all identical
except for the packaging.

PySVN is a library that exposes the Subversion API as a Python API so
that you can write code that uses the Subversion API using Python.
The Python Workbench is a Python GUI client written by the author of
PySVN that uses PySVN to implement the calls to the SVN API.

You could compare the Python Workbench to other GUI SVN clients if you
wanted, such as TortoiseSVN.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard