Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by lei liu <li...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/04 09:06:26 UTC

same edits file is loaded more than once

I am using hadoop0.20.2, now I want to use HDFS HA function.  I research
AvatarNode. I find if the StandbyNN do checkpoint fail, when next time the
StandbyNN do checkpoint, the same edits file is loaded again.  Can same
edits file be loaded more than once in hadoop0.20.2?
if not, what is the harm?

Thanks,

LiuLei

Re: same edits file is loaded more than once

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Coli,
Thank you very much for your reply.

I am researching the hadoop2.0 code, I find there are below code in
FSEditLogLoader.loadEditRecords method.
<code>
   if (op.hasTransactionId()) {
            if (op.getTransactionId() > expectedTxId) {
              MetaRecoveryContext.editLogLoaderPrompt("There appears " +
                  "to be a gap in the edit log.  We expected txid " +
                  expectedTxId + ", but got txid " +
                  op.getTransactionId() + ".", recovery, "ignoring missing
" +
                  " transaction IDs");
            } *else if (op.getTransactionId() < expectedTxId) {
              MetaRecoveryContext.**editLogLoaderPrompt("There appears " +
                  "to be an out-of-order edit in the edit log.  We " +
                  "expected txid " + expectedTxId + ", but got txid " +
                  op.getTransactionId() + ".", recovery,
                  "skipping the out-of-order edit");
              continue;*
            }
          }
</code>

The method use transaction id to  **guarantee same transaction log is not
applied to namespace more than once.

I am using hadoop-0.20.2, that don't store the transaction id to edits log
file.
So I want to know if  StandbyNN apply same edits log file many times to
namespace, that will lead to the namespace of StandbyNN is corrupt?

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Coli,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK? and some more

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

After spending time to research Hadoop and Hbase JDK requirements, here is my advice about using Ubuntu 12.04:

1) If you plan to use HBase on Hadoop HDFS, do note that HBase will run on Oracle's JDK only, so do NOT use OpenJDK or other JDKs for the setup.
2) When installing Ubuntu, should NOT use LVM (Linux Logical Volume Manager) for Hadoop data disks! (There will be performance issue between the filesystem and the device, LVM is the default for some Linux package, be careful not to select LVM)

regards

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Recommend JDK 1.6.3x, 1.7 has serval issues within NIO and I wouldn't use them in production, OpenJDK has sometimes a odd behavior and IBM's JDK - no.

cheers,
 Alex

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Sanjeev Verma <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
I don't think OpenJDK 7 has been as extensively tested as OpenJDK 6
for Hadoop. I'd recommend staying on 1.6-based JVMs if you have a prod
goal for this cluster, but otherwise, you could give OpenJDK 7 a try
and let us know.

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Sanjeev Verma <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Sanjeev Verma <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Sanjeev Verma <sa...@gmail.com>.

Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Coli,

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Coli,

Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.
I research FSEditLog.loadFSEdits method, I find OP_ADD and OP_CLOSE
opration first  delete inode(call  FSDirectory.unprotectedDelete method),
then re-add inode(call FSDirectory.unprotectedAddFile method),  so if NN
read one OP_ADD transaction log and add one inode to namespace  for the
operation, when next time NN read the same transaction log form same edits
file,NN first delete the inode , then add same inode to namespace again,
So  I think this is no harmful,even if the same transaction log is loaded
more than once.

If my understand is wrong, welcom everyone to point it out.

Thanks,

LiuLei

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lei liu <li...@gmail.com>.