Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2002/11/20 22:51:37 UTC

Re: Threads problem ? (was RE: Problem opening .ttml file under Windows)

Craig Huckabee <hu...@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> >I use Oratcl 2.7. I know this one is an old version and this is
> >definitely not thread safe. In one frame I did not use Oratcl
> >(package and DLL not loaded into .ttml) and in the other frame I
> >use Oratcl. Suprisingly, not always (but most of the times) the
> >database frame was slow, but it also was the second
> >frame. Sometimes also the first frame was delayed.

> OK - I'll see if I can duplicate that environment.  I think I have
> an Oracle database I can attach to here, but if not maybe MySQL
> would suffice.

Oratcl is listed as being thread-safe here:

http://mini.net/tcl/3839

> >Perhaps the delay came from starting a new apache.exe, load
> >balancing and process management is not the biggest advantage of
> >Windows ;-)

> That's true and the main reason the original solution bothers me.

>    My test pages with multiple frames aren't showing this problem.
> I've got some software somewhere that can mimic several thousand web
> requests (we use it to beat on servers for production), I'll see if
> I can use it tomorrow and come up with some better tests.

'ab' from Apache works ok.  They are also working on a new one, called
'flood', which is available here:

http://httpd.apache.org/test/flood/

> I have my own chart and graph library (<shameless plug> see TGDChart
> at SourceForge) that I can use to create some work for the server.
> I've also got a MySQL database here somewhere that I can try
> connecting to.  Does everyone think that will be a good enough test
> ?

Sounds like a good start...  Hard to say, though.  I'm going to go to
a session about Apache on Windows later today (never thought *that*
would happen) - maybe I'll learn something useful:-)

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/