Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr> on 2002/10/14 05:38:33 UTC

[jelly] as a Turbine templating framework ?

Hi,

I read a while ago something interesting about a JellyServlet...

I'll like to know if there has been some attempts of a Jelly Service for
Turbine (or Fulcrum),
that would work like VelocityService (ie: you request
"localhost:8080/foo/servlet/foo/templates/index.jelly"
and the service evaluates the script and sends it to the browser).

Though, I don't know how Turbine deals with Layouts, Navigations,
Screens, etc.
This could be reproduced I guess.

One problem is that is could break the MVC pattern, as eventually some
logic would be inserted in those
scripts rather than in services/pull tools.

We could then have "jelly actions", which would do something, set a
template to use, and pass its context to
the "jelly screen". This could even be goal-oriented, with "jelly:jerkz" !!

If it's been done/thought of already, please point me to the info.
Otherwise, I'll try something like that in the next few days.

Any ideas ?

Thanx,
Stéphane

Re: [jelly] as a Turbine templating framework ?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Stéphane MOR" <st...@yahoo.fr>
> Hi,
>
> I read a while ago something interesting about a JellyServlet...
>
> I'll like to know if there has been some attempts of a Jelly Service for
> Turbine (or Fulcrum),
> that would work like VelocityService (ie: you request
> "localhost:8080/foo/servlet/foo/templates/index.jelly"
> and the service evaluates the script and sends it to the browser).

Noones tried yet.

> Though, I don't know how Turbine deals with Layouts, Navigations,
> Screens, etc.
> This could be reproduced I guess.
>
> One problem is that is could break the MVC pattern, as eventually some
> logic would be inserted in those
> scripts rather than in services/pull tools.
>
> We could then have "jelly actions", which would do something, set a
> template to use, and pass its context to
> the "jelly screen". This could even be goal-oriented, with "jelly:jerkz"
!!

> If it's been done/thought of already, please point me to the info.
> Otherwise, I'll try something like that in the next few days.

Sure, have a go, why not.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/