Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Michael Concini <mc...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/24 21:38:34 UTC

MyFaces 2.0 development going forward

Now that the JSF 2.0 spec is getting closer to completion, I think it
would be a good idea for some more planning to go into the development
process for the MyFaces 2.0 release going forward.  There are several
aspects of this that need to be addressed.

First, regarding the changes/additions to the JSF spec.  Is anyone
keeping track somewhere of which changes have JIRA issues attached
versus those that still need to have new issues created?   It is getting
to be hard to determine what changes might still not have issues
attached at this point as the number of JIRA issues associated with the
2.0 spec approaches 200.

Second, I think it would be very helpful to put together a more detailed
road map of when we want to target specific changes and features. I
think a good example of how we might want to do this is what
OpenWebBeans is doing in their road map
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=12310844&subset=-1>.
They've outlined exactly what is being planned for the upcoming
milestone work. I know something like this would be very useful to my
team at IBM in determining which work is best for us to take on in any
milestone period.

I also think it would be a good idea to come up with a more formal way
of keeping track of who is working on which items.  As more folks become
involved, its going to become more and more likely that we'll step on
each other's toes.

Does anyone have thoughts on any of the above?  I'd be glad to work with
someone from the PMC to assist in any of the required planning.

Thanks,
Mike Concini

Re: MyFaces 2.0 development going forward

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
jankeesvanandel@gmail.com schrieb:
> I'm currently working on the annotation processing stuff (@ManagedBean,
> @ManagedProperty...). Already made a first attempt for the managed
> beans, but there is still some work to do (converters, components, event
> listeners, etc). I hope I can apply the same logic for those other
> components as well.
>
> With Werner working on Ajax and Simon on Facelets, we already cover a
> large portion of JSF2. Facelets is big, though, since it also contains
> tags for all components, EZComp, JSF2-Facelets/Original-Facelets
> switching, etc... Resource handling/relocation is also a mandatory
> requirement for Ajax to work.

My main problem the last few weeks was that I was assigned to another
task which bound me for 100% I hope to have again at least one day per
week beginning from this week to finish the client side ajax part.
We are on the client side currently at 70% :-), most of the
roundtripping is implemented on the client side, the response handling
still is missing! Btw. I ditched the Trinidad xhr code (I made it
switchable so you for now still can use it).

The reason was, the Trinidad code had so many things in, which is not
needed by the specs which made the code hard to maintain,

that a small clean room transport made more sense to keep the codebase
leaner.

Some parts of the Trinidad xhr code still live in the new codebase, the
form value encoding for instance. But for now there is not too much
needed from the Trinidad codebase. I have not seen the latest spec, but
the entire iframe aspects were not there, because no direct form submit
was done, xhr transport only and that one queued and asynchronously
only. By removing the trinidad codebase, I could trim the entire XHR
codebase down by 70%, so it made sense to do it!

For now I have both transports with a small adapter layer on top of it
to hook it into jsf2 but I am not sure if we keep the Trinidad codebase.

As for the server side, the main issue there is we have to do a
specialized responsewriter, which pretty much Trinidad does already!
But I do not consider that too much work!

Werner

Re: Re: MyFaces 2.0 development going forward

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

> About Shale-test, is it right to use Shale classes in MyFaces Core? Of
> course it's just the unit tests, but in some way it's still a cyclic
> dependency which is usually a bad thing...

but you don't relay on the testing framework for runtime.
So, yes using shale to fire the unit tests is valid. Well
it is part of the build (already today)

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: MyFaces 2.0 development going forward

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Yes, that's for sharing details, e.g. stack trace on failure (from the TCK).
That doesn't mean you can't submit a "descriptive" jira ticket ;-)

-Matthias

Posted by Michael Concini <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Concini <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Concini <mc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the responses so far.  Comments in-line (in blue text).

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

The list is fine. I'll be happy to help with 2.0 as soon as the code is
committed.

regards

Leonardo Uribe

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias and all,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Simon,

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Micheal,

Help on Facelets would be most welcome, it's quite big and not a code base I
know that much. I can see 6 main tasks to that integration, 4 required and 2
nice to have:

   1. Relink the classes to JSF 2.0 FaceletContext and other Facelets API
   from myfaces-api. *100%* done.
   2. Package renaming. Someone suggested to keep the same names before, but
   that won't work as JSF 2.0 must work if you drop in the latest Facelets JAR
   and keeping the same names would imply some name clashes. So we have to
   figure out either where to place each sub module or keep it with the
   original structure but with different root packages. *0%* done.
   3. Set Facelets as the default ViewHandler (as of JSF 2.0 Facelets
   superceede JSP). *0%* done.
   4. Since I used the latest Facelets code for integration, there's already
   some difference between the spec and Facelets, namely with FaceletHandler
   where the API only has the apply method while latest Facelets uses
   applyDefinition. Therefore, we have to revert the Facelets code back to
   apply only and get rid of the applyDefinition code. *30%* done.
   5. Convert Facelets to Java 5+ (generics). *50%* done. This is a nice to
   have, but I use this task to get comfortable with the code base at the same
   time.
   6. Get rid of the JSF version code switches. Facelets sometimes switch

Posted by Michael Concini <mc...@gmail.com>.
We already have taken care of the legal stuff.  We had actually hoped to
get involved in the 2.0 work much earlier but got stalled out waiting on
legal in the fall.  We're good to go on that now.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Concini <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ja...@gmail.com.

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.