Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Guillermo Ortiz <ko...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/10 15:35:13 UTC

Sizing in Ignite

What's the reason because it needs so many space Ignite to store data in
memory?.
For example, if your dataset it's about 4TB and you are going to use backup
(1 replica) the final size it's about

5TBx2.5x1.3(indices) x backcup = 26TB more or less... So, it could be 28TB
with the memory of the system to work.

It seems insane to have that memory in many cases. How does Ignite store
data to spend 3 times the size on disk? is it possible to reduce this?

Re: Sizing in Ignite

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
What you quote is just an example emphasizing that Ignite and relational DB
are completely different storages and that mapping memory estimates one by
one are wrong. You should use the actual guide for calculations that doesn't
mention any multipliers like this.

-Val

Re: Sizing in Ignite

Posted by Guillermo Ortiz <ko...@gmail.com>.
"*- I have 300GB of data in DB. Will this be the same in Ignite?* No, data
size on disk is not a direct 1-to-1 mapping in memory. As a very rough
estimate, it can be about 2.5/3 times size on disk excluding indexes and
any other overhead."

I am getting aprox. these numbers.
1.3 = 30% because of indices

Re: Sizing in Ignite