Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com> on 2002/08/30 18:44:28 UTC

Moving AUTH_LDAP to /experimental

    It appears that there is enough consensus to warrant moving
AUTH_LDAP into /experimental.  I am planning on making the move by the
end of the day (8/30).  I am planning on flattening out the directory
structure and putting all of the source for both mod_auth_ldap and
util_ldap into /experimental similar to how the source is stored for the
mod_xxx_cache modules.  This will probably mess up the makefiles for
now.  I will fix the NetWare makefile but others will have to do the
same for their platforms.  One question I had was what to do with the
docs and the sample .conf files.  Is it appropriate to place the docs
for an experimental module in /docs/manual/mod and the sample .conf in
/docs/conf or is there someplace else I should put them?  Ideas,
thoughts?

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

>>> trawick@attglobal.net Friday, August 30, 2002 4:55:16 AM >>>
"Brad Nicholes" <BN...@novell.com> writes:

>    Now that 2.0.40 has been released and we are in development of
.41
> and the fact that there has been a proposal for re-architecting the
AUTH
> modules, I would like to propose that we move AUTH_LDAP out of it's
own
> project and into experimental.  This will enable AUTH_LDAP to get
more
> exposure as an external module, allow it to be included in future
> releases of Apache 2 for testing and stabilization, and make sure
that
> it is not overlooked in future development.  LDAP is an important
> authentication method and should be supported in Apache.

+1

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: Moving AUTH_LDAP to /experimental

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Brad Nicholes wrote:

>     It appears that there is enough consensus to warrant moving
> AUTH_LDAP into /experimental.  I am planning on making the move by the
> end of the day (8/30).  I am planning on flattening out the directory
> structure and putting all of the source for both mod_auth_ldap and
> util_ldap into /experimental similar to how the source is stored for the
> mod_xxx_cache modules.  This will probably mess up the makefiles for
> now.  I will fix the NetWare makefile but others will have to do the
> same for their platforms.

I just checked out the latest CVS, ./buildconf'ed and "./configure
--with-ldap --enable-ldap --enable-auth-ldap"'d and the build completed
fine. Haven't had a chance to test it, will do shortly.

Platform is LinuxPPC/YDL v2.2 (a Redhat clone).

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm
	"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: Moving AUTH_LDAP to /experimental

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Brad Nicholes wrote:
> Is it appropriate to place the docs
> for an experimental module in /docs/manual/mod

Yes.  They'll need to be converted to XML, but you can just drop them in
for now if you don't have time to do that.

> and the sample .conf in
> /docs/conf

No, I don't think we want to pollute conf/ that way.  There have been
various proposals on what to do with sample configuration files, but for
now, I'd suggest just integrating the example configuration directly
into the docs.  I can do that myself at some point if you don't want to
do it.

Joshua.