Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by ip <ip...@storpool.com.INVALID> on 2020/12/14 13:27:48 UTC

Cloud Provider Interested in CloudStack

Hello everyone,

At StorPool we have a customer interested to migrate from one cloud
management system to another. He is considering options and thinking for
OpenStack and CloudStack.

Does somebody want to share some experience with him?
Maybe some from ShapeBlue can say a few words to him about the CloudSatck
advantages. I already shared a few, but a more technical perspective will
be better.

Thank you all in advance,

*Ivet Petrova Madzharova*
*Marketing Manager*

*StorPool Storage*
m:
l:
+359883321596
linkedin.com/in/ivpetrova <http://www.linkedin.com/in/ivpetrova>
e:
w:
ip@storpool.com
www.storpool.com

[image: https://www.storpool.com] <https://www.storpool.com>

Re: Cloud Provider Interested in CloudStack

Posted by ip <ip...@storpool.com.INVALID>.
Š¢hanks Daan and Alireza,

I will pass this information to him. Will see what he will select.
Appreciate your feedback!

Best regards,

Posted by Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com>.
I have the same dilemma. as well when evaluating .

To me, choosing a platform, other than features or design,  time to get
live ,  time of support,  recovery time if issues happen, deployment time
is alway very important consideration .

Openstack is very component based design, each of the services has its own
unique name , and before you go into it, you need to understand their
terms,  Network,  they call it Neuron etc.
Each of one component has one individual server running on it, and either a
physical server or by container .   Installation of Openstack. is painful
,   the standard documentation published online is not working,  it
definitely will come out with some unknown errors that you have to fix one
by one .   The  fastest that you can get Openstack up and test is the
install the All-In-One package, but that is not really recommended for
production use.

The whole process of getting up Openstack probably needs about 6months for
a proper Experience LInux System Admin .   I don't really think of Junior
Sys Admin able to get it up so soon with those many un-documented
installation processes . Those installation frmm installation scripts like
Ansible etc , is not an easy taak,  a lot of parameters that you need to
know one by one.

Another thing that you need to consider is the upgrade and maintenance,  if
you run a hosting company,  you have to make sure enough / spare engineers
that are always ready to support this . If one engineer is leaving, you may
have the headache of going through another time of a long learning curve.

Even though not engaging new engineer, Openstack is still under a massive
development and bugfix , twice a year, Upgrade will become a painful thing
if you have a lot of hypervisors out there and are not really familiar of
the system and have so many components.

While for Cloudstack,  the only 3 processes needed,  Management Server,
Agent and if you need an optional Usage server .  You can very fast
provision a Compute Hypervisor , doesn't not need any Ansible etc.  Just
use the yum and apt from the repository to install.   It is convenient and
fast .

For the features , both are similar , or you are looking at some very
specific features ?  Like DB as service , Storage as a service those ?

Openstack has the advantage that  a lot more hardware providers create
drivers for it, for example  Storage .  But this proprietary storage
provider, that you do not always need it,   If you do not want to lock by
Storage provider and need Ceph, it is supported in Cloudstack as well.

Modular Design of Openstack is advantage for Developer to fully focus on
some component and integration by API, however it is painful for the
implementor if is not properly documented.

I could safely say, you can up the cloudstack and be familiar with it
within one month time, while it seems not possible for Openstack.

Hean Seng

Re: Cloud Provider Interested in CloudStack

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivet,

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Long story short, if he wants more compatibility with different cloud based
solutions to provide different services and can setup a team of  experts to
solve day to day issues and update nightmares, I would recommend OpenStack.
But if he is focused to provide IaaS and wants to setup his infrastructure
as soon as possible with a few number of experts without headache of
different issues and one click updates with confidence, I would
recommend CloudStack.

Regards,
Alireza Eskandari