Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> on 2015/11/12 21:23:50 UTC

Release votes and git-tags [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0]

We have always voted on release tar-balls, not svn branches / git commit-ids or tags.

When we were on SVN, we used to paste in the voting thread the release branch URL.

Since we moved to git, we stopped creating release branches and have always used signed tags for snapshotting and posted tags in the voting threads.

To my knowledge, we never reuse tags - as they are themselves versioned - for e.g. hadoop-2.7.1-RC0 etc. So we don’t run the risk of tags getting replaced from under the rug.

To me, tags are a simple way of going back to the code we ship in a release without creating and maintaining explicit release branches. No one can remember Commit IDs.

All that said, we can post the commit-IDs in future release votes for the sake of convenience, but I disagree with the statement that we vote on git-commits.

+Vinod

Re: Release votes and git-tags [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0]

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> On 12 Nov 2015, at 20:23, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> We have always voted on release tar-balls, not svn branches / git commit-ids or tags.
>
> When we were on SVN, we used to paste in the voting thread the release branch URL.
>
> Since we moved to git, we stopped creating release branches and have always used signed tags for snapshotting and posted tags in the voting threads.
>
> To my knowledge, we never reuse tags - as they are themselves versioned - for e.g. hadoop-2.7.1-RC0 etc. So we don’t run the risk of tags getting replaced from under the rug.
>
> To me, tags are a simple way of going back to the code we ship in a release without creating and maintaining explicit release branches. No one can remember Commit IDs.
>
> All that said, we can post the commit-IDs in future release votes for the sake of convenience, but I disagree with the statement that we vote on git-commits.
>
> +Vinod

I recognise that we vote on the src distro, but that source has an origin. And that has to be a commit #, not a tag, as somebody *may* change that tag later.

the ASF incubator will only approve of git-based releases with that checksum —so its the one we should all be using

FWIW, the RC tag is: 6f38ccc ; I've checked it out and verifying it builds on Windows, including all the native libs

Re: Release votes and git-tags [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0]

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.