Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> on 2007/06/24 14:09:04 UTC

Fw: [nbusers] GlassFish VERSES Tomcat

----- Original Message -----
From: Johnny Kewl
To: nbusers@netbeans.org
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:41 PM
Subject: [nbusers] GlassFish VERSES Tomcat

Guys, this is bothering me...
I read about JBoss & Tomcat, Geronimo & Tomcat, Spring & Tomcat.... GlassFish VERSES Tomcat.

What is the servlet container being used in Glassfish?
If it is a new thing, are their any assurances or policy statements out there, that it will remain compatible with Tomcat.
Saying the specs are the same is not enough... I want to know that I can move development in one easily to the other, always.

If Sun looks at this link http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=glassfish&word2=tomcat
I think they should be making those assurances and putting a stop to VERSES articles, its stupid, one is a servlet container, the other an application container, like comparing a women to a man... they just different ;)
Its simple, if it becomes incompatible or a nightmare to work between ANYTHING and Tomcat, we cant use it, wont even take the risk.

Johnny Kewl
  eMail: John<No Spam>kewlstuff.co.za  -- replace <No Spam> with @ --
  Cell: +027-72- 473-9331

Re: Fw: [nbusers] GlassFish VERSES Tomcat

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
glassfishes uses a fork of tomcat 5.0.25, which they are developing on
their own.
Its actually the same as JBoss, the tomcat which comes with JBoss
isn't the tomcat you get from tomcat.apache.org.

The same applies probably to any application server out there, they
all come with their servlet containers, own products or a customized
version of another product.

But as long as they are all compatible to the JSR (or at least mainly
compatible) it shouldn't be a problem or a big problem to migrate from
one to another. As long as you don't use tomcat specific things, like
valves, in which case you're damned, but its your own fault then.

regards
Leon