Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com> on 2002/06/20 15:27:06 UTC

Re: Trouble - Using Soap 2.3-rc and Tomcat 3.3.a

If you can switch to Tomcat 4.x, I recommend you do.  It implements later
versions of the servlet and JSP specifications and uses the now standardized
class loading.  It is very easy to install and makes Apache SOAP almost
foolproof to install as well.  You can check my instructions to see how easy
at http://www.scottnichol.com/apachesoapinstall.htm.

To get things working on Tomcat 3.x, be certain to check
http://xml.apache.org/soap/docs/install/tomcat.html for Tomcat-specific
instructions.  The instructions at http://www.soapuser.com/server1.html may
also be very helpful.  The important thing is that Tomcat merges your
classpath with its needs to construct a new classpath for itself.  When you
have made the changes described at the URL above, I suggest you also add a
line to the Tomcat startup script to echo the classpath it uses.  That way,
you can confirm that it has the XML parser you want at the start of the
classpath, and that mail.jar and activation.jar are in the classpath.  The
error you received indicates to me that Tomcat does not have mail.jar in its
classpath.

Also, as always, check for typographical errors in your classpath.  The JVM
will silently ignore files in the classpath that do not exist.

Scott Nichol