Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/04/12 02:31:51 UTC

Re: Proposal: more clean-up and move "special" code outside of the main tree

Costin Manolache wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since 3.1 is marked, I want to ask you to agree on:
> 1. Remove the remaining dependencies and references to old code.
> That include not building j2ee directory (since a new interface has to
> be used anyway)

+1.  I'd even be willing to say "delete the unused "j2ee" directory,
because we can always go back to the attic and fish out anything we want
to re-use.  Leaving it there has already caused some user confusion.

> and cleaning up all "deprecated" code that is still
> in.
>
> 2. Move the code that is not used "by default" in a separate directory
> structure.
> It will still be available, but the main src/ tree will be much easier
> read and understand. Examples are NetworkClassLoader ( not tested in
> a long time ), the JNI connector ( so the src/ tree will be
> "100%" java),
> old and experimental connectors ( 23 for example ).

+1.  Don't forget to add package.html and/or overview.html files to the
source directories, so that intelligible Javadoc summaries are produced
for what's in each package.

> Even if it is possible to "exclude" some files at build time, the
> intention is to have main tomcat code as clean  as possible.
> I also intend to add few more comments and whatever was missed
> in the previous cleanup, and finish the implementation of some stub
> methods ( like afterBody()).
>
> No functionality will be affected - it's mostly "esthetic".

That ("no functionality changes") is certainly different from what
actually happened last time :-), but go for it.

> Costin

Craig