Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by phil curb <js...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2012/03/20 10:42:19 UTC

[users@httpd] can't password protect a file but can a directory

I can't get b.htm to be password protected.

I can put directives AuthType, AuthName, AuthUserFile, Require..  In <directory..>  and get the directory password protected.

But I want the directory to not be password protected, and for just a file (b.htm) to be password protected but i'm having no luck in my attempts

here are some extracts from my httpd.conf file

<Directory "C:/apachefiles">

#AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software #Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/pfile"
#AuthType Basic
#AuthName "My Secret Page"

    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

    AllowOverride None

    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

</Directory>

<FilesMatch "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</FilesMatch>

<FilesMatch "b\.htm">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/pfile"
Require user barny
</FilesMatch>

<Files "b.htm">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "My Secret Page"
AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/pfile"
Require user barny
</Files>

<Files "C:/apachefiles/b.htm">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"

Re: [users@httpd] can't password protect a file but can a directory

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mar 20, 2012, at 5:42 AM, phil curb wrote:

> I can't get b.htm to be password protected.
>
> I can put directives AuthType, AuthName, AuthUserFile, Require..  In <directory..>  and get the directory password protected.
>
> But I want the directory to not be password protected, and for just a file (b.htm) to be password protected but i'm having no luck in my attempts

Please elaborate on "no luck". What happens, exactly? Are there error messages? (ie, in the error log, not in the browser.)

> here are some extracts from my httpd.conf file
>

> <Directory "C:/apachefiles">
>
> #AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software #Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/pfile"
> #AuthType Basic
> #AuthName "My Secret Page"
>
>    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>
>    AllowOverride None
>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
>
> </Directory>
>

> <FilesMatch "^\.ht">
>    Order allow,deny
>    Deny from all
>    Satisfy All
> </FilesMatch>
>
> <FilesMatch "b\.htm">
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Restricted Files"
> AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/pfile"
> Require user barny
> </FilesMatch>
>
> <Files "b.htm">
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "My Secret Page"
> AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/pfile"
> Require user barny
> </Files>
>
> <Files "C:/apachefiles/b.htm">
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Restricted Files"
> AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/pfile"
> Require user barny
> </Files>

Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen