Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by William McKee <wi...@knowmad.com> on 2002/10/14 20:33:09 UTC

Re: [cgiapp] Re: Apache::DBI and CGI::Application with lots of modules.

On 14 Oct 2002 at 9:12, Eric Frazier wrote:
> That I am not so sure of. I will do some more investigation. It seems like
> the only variables that could be causing this are the result set from the
> query and the scalar which holds the html template.  I feel like I know
> absolutly nothing now :(   I installed Apache::DB but don't yet know what
> to make of it.

Hey Eric,

I empathize with you! Getting myself up-to-speed with mod_perl development
has been a demanding task. At the moment, my apps have stabilized but I'm
sure to hit another hurdle down the road.

As for Apache::DB, read the mod_perl guide at perl.apache.org. The
debugger is a pain to learn but has helped me to solve several problems.
There is good documentation on using the debugger in the camel book as
well. One trick I learned was to let the script run through once using the
'c' command. That will load all the scripts and modules into memory which
will let you set breaks in your code without having to watch every line go
by.

Also, I noticed some folks pointing out some global variables. If you're
having troubles tracking these down in your script, you can see all the
variables your script has instantiated by using perl-status and looking at
the Loaded Modules. Find your CGI::App module in the list and click it to
get a detailed list of the arrays, functions, hashes, etc. that it loads.

Good luck,
William

--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration