Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Patrick Sneyers <cg...@bulckens.com> on 2006/08/08 10:27:30 UTC

Word Doc spam

Received in my .mac (basically a spam bin) account.
http://www.triksys.be/docspam.jpg = screenshot of word doc attached.

Neer seen this before....
Is this new, or old news?
211.16.219.135 is in all kinds of blacklists though.

Patrick Sneyers
Belgium

Van: Robert Nicholson <ro...@elastica.com>
Datum: 8 augustus 2006 05:34:32 GMT+02:00
Aan: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Onderwerp: Latest Network Upgrade not spam.

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:53:23 +0900
From: Lizzie Matthews <mi...@amatuercrew.com>
Subject: August Payment Summary, Invoice #52782
To: triksys@mac.com

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C6BA17.2A1A0400

------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C6BA17.2A1A0400

Past Due Invoice Attached

------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C6BA17.2A1A0400

Re: Word Doc spam

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:01 AM +0200 Mark Martinec
<Ma...@ijs.si> wrote:

> In the FreeBSD ports collection it comes under: textproc/antiword
> or fetch it from its home site: http://www.winfield.demon.nl/

Cool. What's involved in integrating this into SA? Can the image plugin
machinery be easily adapted to invoke this?

Re: Word Doc spam

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
> From: "Ralf Hildebrandt" <Ra...@charite.de>
> > man antiword
>
> No manual entry for antiword

Looks really useful and straightforward, thanks Ralf!

In the FreeBSD ports collection it comes under: textproc/antiword
or fetch it from its home site: http://www.winfield.demon.nl/

  Mark

RE: Word Doc spam

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> From: "Ralf Hildebrandt" <Ra...@charite.de>
>
> >* Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>:
> >
> >> I was surprised to see one of these as well.
> >>
> >> I'd always thought that it would be nice for the Open
> Office people to
> >> create a simple command-line utility to convert Word files
> to plain text
> >> for spam checking.
> >
> > man antiword
>
> No manual entry for antiword
>
> {^_-}

FWIW, we're starting to see these .doc attachments come through as well.
I guess the figure if we're gonna block images, .doc files are the next
best thing?

Bret

Re: Word Doc spam

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Ralf Hildebrandt" <Ra...@charite.de>

Re: Word Doc spam

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.
* Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>:

> I was surprised to see one of these as well.
>
> I'd always thought that it would be nice for the Open Office people to
> create a simple command-line utility to convert Word files to plain text
> for spam checking.

man antiword

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums)         Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155

Re: Word Doc spam

Posted by Rob Poe <rp...@plattesheriff.org>.
I got one of these too...

>>> Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> 8/8/2006 8:07 AM >>>
--On Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:27 AM +0200 Patrick Sneyers
<cg...@bulckens.com> wrote:

> Received in my .mac (basically a spam bin) account.
> http://www.triksys.be/docspam.jpg = screenshot of word doc attached.
>
> Neer seen this before....
> Is this new, or old news?
> 211.16.219.135 is in all kinds of blacklists though.

I was surprised to see one of these as well.

I'd always thought that it would be nice for the Open Office people to
create a simple command-line utility to convert Word files to plain text
for spam checking. Or it could strip any macros for virus protection.

Re: Word Doc spam

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.