Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Aleksey Yeschenko <al...@apache.org> on 2015/03/02 21:02:47 UTC

Re: What are the factors that affect the release time of each minor version?

Hi Phil,

Right now there is no explicit scheme for minor releases scheduling.

Eventually we just decide that it’s time for a new release - usually when the CHANGES list feels too long - and start the process.

what are the duties to release a version?
Need to build and eventually publish all the artifacts - that process is semi-automated. Need to run all the unit/distributed/long/duration tests on the tagged sha. Need to go through the whole voting process. All in all about a week.

Coincidentally, we’ve been discussing our release policies recently, and minor version releases have been discussed as well. It is likely that we’ll switch to scheduled minor releases soon (every 2/3/4 weeks or when a major bug gets fixed - whatever comes first).

--
AY

On February 28, 2015 at 2:49:25 AM, Phil Yang (ud1937@gmail.com) wrote:

Hi all

As a user of Cassandra, sometimes there are some bugs in my cluster and I
hope someone can fix them (Of course, if I can fix them myself I'll try to
contribute my code :) ). For each bug, there is a JIRA ticket to tracking
it and users can know if the bug is fixed.

However, there is a lag between this bug being fixed and a new minor
version being released. Although we can apply the patch of this ticket to
our online version and build a special snapshot to solve the trouble in our
clusters or we can use the latest code directly, I think many users still
want to use an official release with higher reliability and indeed, more
convenience. In addition, updating more frequently can also reduce the
trouble causing by unknown bugs. So someone may often ask "When the new
version with this patch will be released?"

In my mind, not only the number of issues resolved in each version but also
the time interval between two versions is not fixed. So may I know what the
factors that affect the release time of each minor version?

Furthermore, except a vote in dev@cassandra maillist that I can see, what
are the duties to release a version? If it is not a heavy work, could we
make each release more frequently? Or we may make a rule to decide if we
need release a new version? For example: "If the latest version was
released two weeks ago, or after the latest version we have already
resolved 20 issues, we should release a new minor version".

Phil Yang