Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Aman Sinha <am...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/04 03:34:50 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Whether to create separate 2.0 branch

Catching up on this thread since I was traveling and am currently in India
time zone.
Interesting suggestion about the C-T-R policy for a potential 2.0 branch.
I don't recall we have done this for any prior releases.
In the past, my experience with a separate feature branch (not on apache
but in a private repo) was that we still did the review-then-commit
since that's what everyone is accustomed to and most Drill developers tend
to want early feedback.  This depends on the folks working on the
specific features.

For the branching, it sounds like people are more inclined towards option
(a).   Parth does make a good case for 2.0 branch and it would be
inevitable at some point in future especially for the
compatibility-breaking functionality.   We would expect the feature
developers to indicate when
that time comes.

I believe at least partial support for Arrow is a 2.0 objective.  Hopefully
one of us can free up from other commitments and start working on it.

Aman

Posted by hanu mapr <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

+1 for 2.0 branch. I totally agree with Parth that for the fast progress of
a feature (like RM) which can break the backward compatibility of an
existing functionality, maintaining a separate branch is better.

Thanks,
-Hanu

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sorabh Hamirwasia <sh...@mapr.com>.