Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by ma...@schrick-design.de on 2008/10/09 20:21:05 UTC

Issues upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.2

Hi Lenya Team,

we currently use Lenya 2.0 and want to upgrade to version 2.0.2.

We use publication templating. I've created the root template-pubs by copying the "default" publication (source) and then changed manually anything publication specific (paths, pub-id etc.) that works very well (in 2.0).

When using 2.0.2 (our pubs and modules are referenced in local.build.properties) the build succeeded but the pubs don't work as expected.
For example:
- reference to org.apache.lenya.cms.cocoon.transformation.MetaDataTransformer in publication/sitemap.xmap is invalid (fixed by removing the transformer-declaration)
- Login-page shows no labels (fixed when I copy the files from pubs/default/lenya/resources/i18n/* to our pub)
- in Site-view the icon for the xhtml-resourcetype is missing in the tree (but in the 2.0.2-default pub it is)

How could/should we proceed with the upgrade?
Are Lenya 2.0 publications (publication-sitemaps) "incompatible" with 2.0.2?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
 Gerd

Re: Issues upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.2

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Gerd,

mail@schrick-design.de schrieb:

> We use publication templating. I've created the root template-pubs by
> copying the "default" publication (source) and then changed manually
> anything publication specific (paths, pub-id etc.) that works very
> well (in 2.0).
>
> When using 2.0.2 (our pubs and modules are referenced in
> local.build.properties) the build succeeded but the pubs don't work
> as expected. For example:

> - reference to
> org.apache.lenya.cms.cocoon.transformation.MetaDataTransformer in
> publication/sitemap.xmap is invalid (fixed by removing the
> transformer-declaration)

sorry for that. We should try to avoid including component declarations
in sitemaps. By declaring them in xpatch files for the main
sitemap.xmap, we reduce the risk of breaking things when class or
package names change.

> - Login-page shows no labels (fixed when I
> copy the files from pubs/default/lenya/resources/i18n/* to our pub)

We fixed an issue with missing namespaces in i18n catalogues files,
maybe the error was due to this change. Catalogues without the correct
namespace are not supported anymore.

> -
> in Site-view the icon for the xhtml-resourcetype is missing in the
> tree (but in the 2.0.2-default pub it is)

I can't reproduce this - I just created an instance of the default
publication, the icons are visible. Would you mind filing a bug with a
guide how to reproduce the issue? TIA!

> How could/should we proceed with the upgrade? Are Lenya 2.0
> publications (publication-sitemaps) "incompatible" with 2.0.2?

Actually they are supposed to be compatible. 2.0 had some major issues,
since it was the first release after a long development time. Some
things had to be changed in the releases 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 to fix these
issues. It was a tradeoff between reduced backwards comatibility and
faulty behaviour. But in the last months the code has been consolidated,
so I expect the next releases to cause less trouble.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Issues upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.2

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Gerd

Am 09.10.2008 um 20:21 schrieb mail@schrick-design.de:

> Hi Lenya Team,
>
> we currently use Lenya 2.0 and want to upgrade to version 2.0.2.

Same situation in our case (2.0.1 > 2.0.2)

> We use publication templating. I've created the root template-pubs
> by copying the "default" publication (source) and then changed
> manually anything publication specific (paths, pub-id etc.) that
> works very well (in 2.0).
>
> When using 2.0.2 (our pubs and modules are referenced in
> local.build.properties) the build succeeded but the pubs don't work
> as expected.
> For example:
> - reference to
> org.apache.lenya.cms.cocoon.transformation.MetaDataTransformer in
> publication/sitemap.xmap is invalid (fixed by removing the
> transformer-declaration)

IIUC metadata stuff has been modularized so the reference would now be
org.apache.lenya.modules.metadata.MetaDataTransformer

> - Login-page shows no labels (fixed when I copy the files from pubs/
> default/lenya/resources/i18n/* to our pub)

Same thing here.

> - in Site-view the icon for the xhtml-resourcetype is missing in the
> tree (but in the 2.0.2-default pub it is)
>
> How could/should we proceed with the upgrade?
> Are Lenya 2.0 publications (publication-sitemaps) "incompatible"
> with 2.0.2?

They shurely need a few treatments.
Maybe this thread is the right place to write about fixes for common
upgrade problems, necessary changes...

You could try a (eclipse based) diff at directory level between the
default pub and your pub - that has helped me to quickly locate the
hot spots.

Bests
Jürgen

null-oder-eins GmbH Zürich