Posted to dev@gossip.apache.org by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/05 13:18:01 UTC

[DISCUSS] Leave apache and the incubator

All,

It was a sizable effort moving everything Gossip into the incubator. Thank
you all for your help along the way. Recently activity has slowed down,
much of this falls on me.

My opinion is gossip would be much better off moving back to github and be
independently hosted (by me or someone else) I believe for the following
reasons:

Infrastructure:

AAA
I forgot my password and when I clicked the "FORGOT MY PASSWORD" link I got
back a PGP email. No instructions in the email, lol city. I had to google
around ASFs site to try to figure out what to do. Try googling 'pgp lost
password' on apache's docs and figuring out what you need to do.

Releases:
The release process for most Java projects using maven 'mvn release:clean
&& mvn release:prepare && mvn release:perform". Hosting is free and sign up
takes less then a day. Apache incubator wants to see releases as a sign of
health, yet the release process is involved. We have to do the maven steps,
generate an email with the checksums of all critical files, post a vote on
the incubator list, release the artifacts to central, and copy them to an
svn directory.

That is a vote across 2 mailing lists. and all the maven steps, and other
manual steps, and that does not even count getting the website changed. For
me what is a 5 minute thing turns into a days long process. The net result
is we have features in trunk not in the release because doing a release is
just a drag. No one is even half interested in taking on this process and I
only did it because it is the only way.

Community:
Apache incubator is about building communities.
Mailing list
The mailing list is fairly opaque to me. I am sure there is some way to
figure out what the subscriber base is but I don't know it.

Jira
Jira is great tool but the implementation slows people down. New users have
to sign up, and they are unable to assign themselves tickets until I
navigate into JIRA and add them to a group. With open source and attracting
contributors it helps to be able to strike while the iron is hot. Having
users confused as to weather they can start on a task does not help with
that.

GIT
Apache has git but not github is only a mirror. When I have to merge
peoples stuff I have to do it by hand with git commands. (No squash and
merge button)

Updating the site:
Another series of obscure svn commands, making simple things hard, (much
like the release process)

Reports
I get an 4-5 emails at different rates titled "Incubator Report Due" at
different rates. Only one of them is for this project. We were never great
with reports. Almost all the info in the report could be automatically
generated. We missed a report, we got placed onto a report now do every
month category.

The last one was due yesterday, sorry I was enjoying a hotdog at a bbq, I
went to fill it out today and, saw yet another email chain on the incubator
list about how Gossip should leave apache. The report is just another huge
time suck, the time I spend doing it I could be doing an hour of code
review.

Even though some things are in the incubator 7 years, and some apache TLPs
have no activity Gossip out of the incubator seems to be a constant thing
for some....

So lets get out of here.

Re: [DISCUSS] Leave apache and the incubator

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
"At the end of the day, I haven't seen an email to this list that wasn't a
podling report request in months. I actually stopped hounding Ed personally
because it had become a regular thing. There is absolutely no shame in
saying that Gossip is not ready for the ASF. I'd really encourage you all
to take a step back and think about that. I honestly think moving to Github
would make you all much happier, and, an eventual move to the Incubator
again later, would be that much easier (knowing what goes into it)."

By the way Josh. I totally agree with alot of what your saying and always
appreciate your help. Also was not expecting anyone to build the community
for me. But it is not about shame/pride. Someone just called a vote on
this, and a few people other then myself -1 ed the vote.  It was very
disheartening to go start writing the report July 2nd, and just happen upon
another incubator convo about ending the gossip project.

I hang around the apache community a lot and anecdotally I know the status
of a number of podlings. But I decided to around some other podlings, there
was one that started in the incubator in 2013 and has not had a commit for
7 months. It feels a bit arbitrary to me, maybe I am biased maybe not.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Sree,

I appreciate your input and the work you did building the docs.

The docs are yet another challenge for the project. In particular I tried
this a few times before. I was unable to build the docs on my system and I
was unable to build the docs on the ASF hardware where I can have a shell
account. I am not trying to say the process was impossible to figure out,
IE I am sure if I spent a few hours here and there installing Ruby and JDK
6 (which the process seemed to require). I could have gotten it working.
However the overall theme is that since you set up the docs, no one has
done anything to them accept making small changes when our releases were
done.

I was not super eager to move out because most people do not realized that
back in the day I had to go schedule a "key signing party". Literally, I
had to have web video conference with P. Taylor, we waved our drivers
license back and forth at each other just, so he can sign my key, so I can
get the first release out the door.  Also during the move I had to create
JIRA tickets and get myself the right "karma" just do execute step x or
step y. Yes, I devoted a lot of time into the project. Including mentioning
two GSOC students last year, but it is a 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME
LATELY?' world.

Understandably the incubator PMC sees low/no activity and the project, and
that is undeniable.  For the project to be healthy it needs be able to
survive independent of a single person. It can not be promises to do
something later.

I do believe this would be easier outside of the incubator, ie pull
requests, one click merge, adding a collaborator with an invite vs voting,
sending singing, ICLA.

If we want to stick out the incubator the proof is in the pudding. We have
several open tickets currently that range from trivially to complex
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GOSSIP/issues/GOSSIP-35?filter=allopenissues.
Lets get things reviewed and merged, before next report which is  < 1 month
away. Chandresh and myself have commit and authoritative +1 others can
attach unofficial +1 to reviews.  If we are rolling up on the report date
and we do not have serious activity that speaks for itself.

Posted by chandresh pancholi <ch...@gmail.com>.
Agree with Sree.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Taylor. Just started a new thread for a dev-list VOTE.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Yes. Let figure out the steps.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
To follow up on this.

Posted by Sree V <sr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Edward,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sree V <sr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Edward,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
All I am saying is:

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2018

airflow (no report)

Amaterasu

(no report)

Annotator

(no report)

BatchEE 7 years in the incubator

no report

Goblin
Report

Gossip (no Report)

Hawk (report)

Livy (no report)

Milagro (no report)

S2 Graph (no report)

The list just goes on and on...

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I filed our report a day late. Sorry for the delay.

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2018#preview

I made note that we are in discussion to leave the incubator.

This leaves 9 podlings that did not report for yall to track down :)

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ankur Agrawal <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ed

Given the challenges with the processes and tooling, I am with you if you
want to move this to github.

However, just in case it can help, with apache-incubator, or with the
github, I can shoulder some of the responsibilities to keep the project
alive. I can commit to 3-4 hours of productive work every week, with some
consistency of at-least 1 hour every alternate day if required. I know this
is not a lot, but I am guessing with few of us being committed, the burden
will not fall on only one person.

Thanks
Ankur

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I did not want to leave apache either because of the huge swaths of time
invested into their build eco-system. That being said hosting the project
elsewhere will have only upsides.

For example, I host many projects using sonatype for project hosting.
https://central.sonatype.org/pages/ossrh-guide.html

With sonatype I can release with 3 commands. For apache I have to run 14
commands and then have a vote on this mailing list, a vote on another
mailing list, then manually push artifacts to apache SVN, and then send out
another [ANN] email proclaiming about how great the release is!

All this just takes unnecessary time. It is not fun, and if you are moving
jobs and I get fired for example and the report is not done the incubator
crew is unhappy. No one wants to do the monthly reports including myself so
that is that really.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM, chandresh pancholi <

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
I will point out that I've been pointing out the writing on the wall for
months. This isn't some abrupt action.

Posted by chandresh pancholi <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hey Ed,