Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2020/10/03 18:39:12 UTC

TCK status

Hi all,

I mentioned TCK status during a couple of ApacheCon presentations.
Having checked the current status I thought it would be worth sending a
brief note to the list. More detail is on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+TCKs

The short version is:

- EL: all tests pass
- JSP: all tests pass (once the TCK regression is fixed)
- WebSocket: all tests pass
- Servlet: one failure (expected)

So, all good. No issues.

Mark

P.S. If you are wondering the servlet failure is because Tomcat ignores
any suggested context path in web.xml and will ALWAYS derive the context
path from the file name to avoid ambiguities and conflicts.

Re: TCK status

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark for the update.
Some specs are final already.

Some are still being worked on, like WebSocket which is a bit late at
the moment.
If you are willing to help on this one, feel free to jump in.

Le sam. 3 oct. 2020 à 20:39, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I mentioned TCK status during a couple of ApacheCon presentations.
> Having checked the current status I thought it would be worth sending a
> brief note to the list. More detail is on the wiki:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+TCKs
>
> The short version is:
>
> - EL: all tests pass
> - JSP: all tests pass (once the TCK regression is fixed)
> - WebSocket: all tests pass
> - Servlet: one failure (expected)
>
> So, all good. No issues.
>
> Mark
>
> P.S. If you are wondering the servlet failure is because Tomcat ignores
> any suggested context path in web.xml and will ALWAYS derive the context
> path from the file name to avoid ambiguities and conflicts.

Jean-Louis

Re: TCK status

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 10/3/20 14:39, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I mentioned TCK status during a couple of ApacheCon presentations.
>> Having checked the current status I thought it would be worth sending a
>> brief note to the list. More detail is on the wiki:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+TCKs
>>
>> The short version is:
>>
>> - EL: all tests pass
>> - JSP: all tests pass (once the TCK regression is fixed)
>> - WebSocket: all tests pass
>> - Servlet: one failure (expected)
>>
>> So, all good. No issues.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> P.S. If you are wondering the servlet failure is because Tomcat ignores
>> any suggested context path in web.xml and will ALWAYS derive the context
>> path from the file name to avoid ambiguities and conflicts.
>
> I can't for the life of me find a reference to how you "suggest" the
> context path in web.xml. Is this using the appCxtRoot env-entry? I
> thought that was vendor-specific...

<default-context-path>...</default-context-path> in web.xml

It was (and still is) a bad idea. The supporters of the feature ignored
questions like:

- What to do if two web apps use the same value?
- What if a webapp is already deployed at that path?

The only concession I was able to extract was the "may be overridden by
container specific configuration". In Tomcat's case this is the name of
the WAR/DIR so we can always ignore this. Once I reached the point where
I/Tomcat could ignore it, I did.

Mark

Re: TCK status

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 10/3/20 14:39, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I mentioned TCK status during a couple of ApacheCon presentations.
> Having checked the current status I thought it would be worth sending a
> brief note to the list. More detail is on the wiki:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+TCKs
>
> The short version is:
>
> - EL: all tests pass
> - JSP: all tests pass (once the TCK regression is fixed)
> - WebSocket: all tests pass
> - Servlet: one failure (expected)
>
> So, all good. No issues.
>
> Mark
>
> P.S. If you are wondering the servlet failure is because Tomcat ignores
> any suggested context path in web.xml and will ALWAYS derive the context
> path from the file name to avoid ambiguities and conflicts.

I can't for the life of me find a reference to how you "suggest" the
context path in web.xml. Is this using the appCxtRoot env-entry? I
thought that was vendor-specific...

-chris