Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2003/04/28 19:55:32 UTC

[ANN] XInclude processor for xml-commons

Hi all,
sorry for crossposting.
I'm about to commit a nucleus for an XInclude processor to XML commons.

Any opinions for/against it?
Any rules to observe? Votes to take?

The processor is currently a SAX filter with some configuration
possiblities, namely the possiblity to resolve hrefs similar to
TrAX. It supports text and XML parsing and works recursively
unless the user prevents it. Fallback is also supported.

There is also still a lot of work, after all, I barely worked
two days on it:
- add the XPointer fragment stuff
- inclusion loop detection
- more robust detection of invalid XInclude content models
- nested XInclude (i.e. xi:include within xi:fallback)
- clean up lots of small problems with text includes.

Comments?

J.Pietschmann

Re: [ANN] XInclude processor for xml-commons

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
I uploaded the current package to my apache page for preview,
see
  http://cvs.apache.org/~pietsch/xinclude.tar.bz2

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> I guess, it's planned to make it W3C conform
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr/)?
>

> Yes, in principle.And the URL is
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/
> It's a *hard* problem to make it fully conformant though.
>
> J.Pietschmann

XInclude or XPointer or both? I had a short look on both after i read
the news at Heise
(http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hps-27.03.03-000/, German). I don't
know, why they chose something (at least in parts) so completely
different from XPath like /1/2 or the range-functions.

Joerg

Re: [ANN] XInclude processor for xml-commons

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Very interesting! I guess, it's planned to make it W3C conform
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr/)?

Regards,

Joerg

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Is this coming from existing work in the cocoon community;

No. It was my eclipse training project.

> also are the
> cocoon folks behind this idea?

Not really, although I figured they'd rather have an Apache XInclude
processor rather than ERH's. The original idea was to make an XInclude
plugin for Xerces, prompted mainly by this post:
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=104448876402937&w=2
but this turned out too much of a bite.

I'm from FOP BTW:
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/news.html#19+April+2002+-+New+Committers

> Any dependencies (I'm really hoping none other than xml-apis)?  Are you
> using the TRaX interfaces themselves, or just designing your own APIs?

Currently only SAX, and my own APIs (may be changed to fit).
The XPointer stuff from the REC is probably going to pull in
some stuff from Xalan or Xerces or both.

> xml-commons\java\src\org\apache\xml\xinclude
Ok

> Oh, and do you have basic docs,
Currently as text:
- Home/plan/vision
- ToDo
- API/Embedding/Configuration
- Running the CLI

> you  need someone else to do this?
Are there volunteers out there? :-)

J.Pietschmann

Re: [ANN] XInclude processor for xml-commons

Posted by sh...@us.ibm.com.
Wow!  New work and we haven't even been advertising lately!

It certainly sounds interesting to start with; I'd like to get a sense of
what other commons-dev watchers think before we add whole new modules.

Is this coming from existing work in the cocoon community; also are the
cocoon folks behind this idea?

Any dependencies (I'm really hoping none other than xml-apis)?  Are you
using the TRaX interfaces themselves, or just designing your own APIs?

My first guess is that it would go into
xml-commons\java\src\org\apache\xml\xinclude although I could see other
names being used.  We need to figure out where the forrestize-able docs
should go: I'm still trying to figure how we can have both individual
releases (with just that module's own forrestized docs) as well as a
website auto-built (which includes both overview docs as well as
forrestized docs from each module).

Oh, and do you have basic docs, or plans to write some docs, or do you
need someone else to do this?

- Shane