Posted to users@isis.apache.org by Andrew Voumard <an...@melbpc.org.au> on 2015/11/23 06:55:59 UTC

Project name

Hi,

Have there been any suggestions or thoughts of changing the project name from isis to something else ? I only ask, because searching for apache isis usually brings up some unwanted / unsavoury results, and I would expect that might just increase over time. It also might trigger email spam filtering, company firewall rules, etc to kick in for some. I could imagine other contexts in which the mere occurrence of the word isis might create some unwanted distraction or issue.

I can appreciate how much upheaval that such a name change could cause, but nonetheless thought it worth asking about.

Thanks

RE: Project name

Posted by Cesar Lugo <ce...@sisorg.com.mx>.
Hi, just another user here. I ran into the same issues, searching for Apache ISIS gives similar results because the Apache helicopters agains Isis. Looking for Apache ISIS framework works much better for me. I hope that helps.

Cesar.

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@gmail.com>.
There is an already Apache River ;)

On 23 November 2015 at 22:43, Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Happy to consider change to 'Apache River Isis' I like that better.
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > my 2c: Its not worth changing our name, some of my reasons:
> > 1. The considerable effort could be better used elsewhere
> > 2. Many entities names coincide with “undesirable" ones (some might even
> > object to Apache helicopters)
> > 3. ISIS name might change, actually it is starting to, as others have
> > mentioned, if they changed it to our new name should we change again??
> > 4. *** them, we were here first
> >
> > Mike Burton
> > mikeb@mycosystems.co.uk
> >
> > > On 23 Nov 2015, at 16:19, Dain Gosbee <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I just wanted to chime in here.  Personally, I would also advocate
> > changing
> > > the name.  I would also be happy to take part in suggesting name
> changes.
> > >
> > > Just wanted to add my two cents.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Dain Gosbee

> agains
> hope

Bilgin Ibryam

Red Hat, Inc.
Apache Camel & Apache OFBiz committer
Blog: ofbizian.com
Twitter: @bibryam <https://twitter.com/bibryam>

Author of Instant Apache Camel Message Routing
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1783283475

RE: Project name

Posted by Cesar Lugo <ce...@sisorg.com.mx>.

> Suspect lots of rivers of same name around the world, there is one in
> Tasmania
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Stephen Cameron <
> steve.cameron.62@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Happy to consider change to 'Apache River Isis' I like that better.
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Mike Burton
> > <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Guys,
> >>
> >> my 2c: Its not worth changing our name, some of my reasons:
> >> 1. The considerable effort could be better used elsewhere 2. Many
> >> entities names coincide with “undesirable" ones (some might even
> >> object to Apache helicopters) 3. ISIS name might change, actually
> >> it is starting to, as others have mentioned, if they changed it to
> >> our new name should we change again??
> >> 4. *** them, we were here first
> >>
> >> Mike Burton
> >> mikeb@mycosystems.co.uk