Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Robert Mena <rt...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/24 13:19:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Tips for high volume server (virtual domains, bandwidth contol, throtle and accounting)

Hi,

I currently have a apache 1.3.x server with aprox ~100
virtual domains hosted.

Since I plan to host more domains and before things go
out of control I'd like to know what modules/tips
could you give me regarding a couple of issues :

a) bandwidth control

After searching the archives it seems  that
mod_bandwith is the better way to avoid all my
bandwidth being used.

Any "rules" regarding it's configuration ?  I've read
that it also supports a way to limit the number of max
connections per directory.

b) Simultaneos usage

Since I have limited resources (bandwidth, memory,
processor) would be great to limit the number of
simultaneos requests made from the same host and/or
directed to the same virtual domain.

mod_throttle seems to be the tool to be used.  Any
advice on doing that would be great.

c) Accounting

I plan to have to kinds of hosting, one that caps when
a limit is reached (showing a "this site has exceeded
something") and other that simply will charge for the
extra usage.

Since I already have separate log files, one per
domain, I could write a script to parse those files or
perhaps rely on another module.  I found (not tested)
mod_accounting.

The overall ideia is that one virtual domain should
not be responsible for eating all the resources
(bandwidth, apache children etc) :)

thanks.

- rt