Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/07/08 11:31:43 UTC

Re: Some sparse notes about changes to the incubation process

On 8/07/2003 11:13 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> 4. Making the incubating project have it's own CVS module is a terrible
> idea. It gives the incubating project and the new users the idea that
> the project is already a full-apache project. This is the same problem
> that had arised on Avalon, where projects that were really sandbox code
> started appearing in the main excalibur CVS, making users use them as
> they were properly released, which was not true.
>
> All incubating projects therefore should reside in the incubator module.
> I'd also propose that all committers of the sponsoring PMC can have
> access to it, as well as all the committers from other incubating
> projects (so they can eventually lend a hand in need).

> 6. Making a separate mailing list right from the start that is in the
> final destination address is again IMHO not a good idea. I would propose
> that all incubating projects start de-facto on the
> projects@incubator.apache.org ML, and eventually migrate to
> nameoftheproject@incubator.apache.org.

-1: Providing isolated resources makes it much easier to zap stuff upon
incubation failure. Also, if both -user, -dev, and -cvs mails
originating from several incubating projects would be aggregated onto a
single set of incubation- lists, I'm pretty sure people would be very
quickly annoyed.

Other than that: enthusiastic +0.75.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Some sparse notes about changes to the incubation process

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote, On 08/07/2003 11.31:
> On 8/07/2003 11:13 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> 4. Making the incubating project have it's own CVS module is a
>> terrible idea. It gives the incubating project and the new users the
>> idea that the project is already a full-apache project. This is the
>> same problem that had arised on Avalon, where projects that were
>> really sandbox code started appearing in the main excalibur CVS,
>> making users use them as they were properly released, which was not true.
>>
>> All incubating projects therefore should reside in the incubator module.
>> I'd also propose that all committers of the sponsoring PMC can have
>> access to it, as well as all the committers from other incubating
>> projects (so they can eventually lend a hand in need).
>

>> 6. Making a separate mailing list right from the start that is in the
>> final destination address is again IMHO not a good idea. I would
>> propose that all incubating projects start de-facto on the
>> projects@incubator.apache.org ML, and eventually migrate to
>> nameoftheproject@incubator.apache.org.
>

> -1: Providing isolated resources makes it much easier to zap stuff upon
> incubation failure.

Naa... don't tell me that zapping a dir in CVS is difficult.

Making an incubator-myproject CVS module is more about the changes that
have to be done upon success than upon failure. I concede that using a
incubator-myproject module is equivalent though.

> Also, if both -user, -dev, and -cvs mails
> originating from several incubating projects would be aggregated onto a
> single set of incubation- lists, I'm pretty sure people would be very
> quickly annoyed.

It depends on what projects we are talking about. If the project is
relatively small, IMHO it should be done. This has happened with the ftp
and AltRMI projects and it's not a problem. Small projects don't have
user lists overmore, and the CVS ones are in a separate CVS ML.

> Other than that: enthusiastic +0.75.

Wow, fractional enthusiasm! ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Some sparse notes about changes to the incubation process

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 7/8/03 5:31 AM, "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org> wrote:

> On 8/07/2003 11:13 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> 6. Making a separate mailing list right from the start that is in the
>> final destination address is again IMHO not a good idea. I would propose
>> that all incubating projects start de-facto on the
>> projects@incubator.apache.org ML, and eventually migrate to
>> nameoftheproject@incubator.apache.org.
>
> -1: Providing isolated resources makes it much easier to zap stuff upon
> incubation failure. Also, if both -user, -dev, and -cvs mails
> originating from several incubating projects would be aggregated onto a
> single set of incubation- lists, I'm pretty sure people would be very
> quickly annoyed.

Agree with Steven on the mailing list, disagree on the cvs module.  I think
these things should be case by case.  Tapestry, for instance, had a lot less
issues of its own than XMLBeans and Apache had a lot more issues surrounding
the incubator creation therefore we created the CVS module...  In the
XMLBeans case, there are a lot more community issues and a lot less Apache
issues, therefore a cvs dir makes more sense.

Aggregating everything on one big fat mailing list  always turns out to be a
huge pain.  Its much easier to organize one's mail based on mail list than
any voluntary [tag] system.

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver