Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2009/02/05 21:31:46 UTC

[vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

As proposed in separate threads[1][2] and Infra jira[3], we have setup a
new zone and repository manager for hosting Apache artifacts at
https://repository.zones.apache.org. The service is now setup and
several releases of Maven are already staged there.

The initial idea was to use LDAP for committer auth/authz, but it isn't
ready yet. In the meantime, a new security realm has been created and
all Apache committers can log in to the system using their credentials.
As each project comes over, we will use the existing svn group mappings
to port the users into the correct group.

To complete the process of using this for Maven artifacts, the following
needs to be done:

1)      Configure the new location as a sync source to Central.

2)      Map the rest of the Maven PMC and committer accounts into the
Maven Group

3)      Move the artifacts from People.apache.org for org/apache/maven/*
over to the hosted repository

4)      Update documentation on how to release, stage and promote

5)      Adjust the Parent pom to use the new urls for distribution
management for both snapshots and releases

6)      Release parent poms, update snapshots etc.

For the time being, we can leave the snapshots in place at p.a.o and
simply start deploying new versions to the zone. We can setup a proxy of
the old snapshot and put this into a group with the new one and users
can migrate over to the new snapshot url and eventually we can move the
snapshots over.

We are working with Apache Infra to get a machine neutral dns for this
[4] and also an official https certificate[5] so hopefully those will
happen shortly, specifically the dns before we update all the poms.

The migration of this would happen project by project, with hopefully
Maven leading the way.

[1]
http://www.nabble.com/-Proposal--Use-Nexus-to-actively-manage-the-Apache
-repository-tt21759239.html#a21759239

[2] Apache Infra list - I believe there are not public archives of this

So lets vote:

+1 Yes, lets lead the way at ASF with a better staging and releasing
process

+0 shrug

-1 No, I like managing my artifacts by hand.

----------------------

Brian Fox

Apache Maven PMC

http://blogs.sonatype.com/brian/

Re: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1

RE: SSL on repository.zones.apache.org (was: Re: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org ...)

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Ok the new cert is in place.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Just an idea:

don't forget the archetype plugin:
https://docs.sonatype.com/display/NX/Nexus+Archetype+Plugin

Having it on r.a.o would be awesome. I can easily "downgrade" is to support
Nexus 1.2.x (until 1.3 is not released).

~t~

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 6-Feb-09, at 12:23 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> On 5-Feb-09, at 9:53 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure why this needs a vote. Just do it.
>>>

>> This requires pulling all of the org.apache.maven.* artifacts into
>> Nexus and that's where they stay for this project because we can't
>> keep partial bits here and over on people. We are suggesting that
>> projects at Apache decide on a per-project basis. So there are
>> currently only two solutions: use people or use Nexus. That's why
>> Brian asked people.
>>>

> I'm confused by your use of "people" in the last two sentences. The
> last "people" could either mean infra or the folks on this list - it
> obviously isn't p.a.o.   I saw all the traffic on Infra where Brian
> asked about this and was told how. No one objected that I saw when
> this was mentioned on this list several days ago. I realize you may
> not want to seem like you are forcing this on anyone, but it seemed
> to me this was a done deal when infra told Brian to set it up in a
> zone.
>
> But if you want a +1 instead, consider this it.

It would be possible to support the staging without moving everything
for Maven over into one location, but I would prefer to stick to
concrete and currently the best (and only solution) for staging and
promotion that isn't painful is Nexus. So we did the staging and
thought about how much work it would be to support that and it's far
simpler to just move everything for projects that want to use Nexus. I
don't want to do a huge amount of work based on the theoretical
possibility there will be another option anytime in the near future.

> Ralph

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
Henri Yandell at one point created a text file describing all the
files. But between myself, and Brett we probably know everything
that's there. Maybe a 30 minute call and we'll just walk though
everything and make notes.

On 8-Feb-09, at 5:01 PM, Brian Fox wrote:

> Is there a page explaining all the hooks we have running on the
> current repo?  Are the scripts available some where that I can copy
> to the new system?
> --Brian (mobile)
>

> On Feb 8, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You also need another step - either rsync to people so that one is
>>> kept up
>>> to date, or provide a replacement for Henk's scripts (or just block
>>> deploy/promotion with messed up sigs).
>>
>> Any news on this bit?
>>
>> The repository@a.o list needs some way to provide oversight of
>> artifacts synced from the new location.  Currently that's an email
>> when new artifacts are added to the repo, plus Henk's signature
>> checking scripts.
>>
>> --
>> Wendy

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

   -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Thanks for reminding me.  We'll implement a custom plugin to validate
the sigs and send a notification. If the sigs don't match, we can stop
the promotion.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 06/02/2009, at 11:44 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

>> +1, conditional
>
>> - I'd like to see some simple, direct documentation on how to use
>> this
>
>> (just reading chapter 9 of the Nexus book). I'll need it shortly for
>> 2.1.0-M2.
>
> This is step 4 below.

Sorry, lack of sleep. Must have glazed over reading that step :)

You also need another step - either rsync to people so that one is
kept up to date, or provide a replacement for Henk's scripts (or just
block deploy/promotion with messed up sigs).

>> - I'd like to make sure the old technique continues to work for the
>> foreseeable future
>
> If needed, we can provide scp access to the new location, but once the
> artifacts are moved from p.a.o. the old technique won't work. We can't
> be rsyncing from two locations and expect metadata not to get screwed
> up.

Yep - that's what I meant. In the unlikely event something goes wrong
and nobody can be found to fix it, someone can stage:copy to the
location on the zone instead.

>> - This doesn't rule out using Archiva in the future :)
>
> Noone can predict the future.

:)

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

RE: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

>+1, conditional

>- I'd like to see some simple, direct documentation on how to use this

>(just reading chapter 9 of the Nexus book). I'll need it shortly for
>2.1.0-M2.

This is step 4 below.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1, conditional

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thus you have my +1

thx

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com> wrote:

> On 5-Feb-09, at 2:04 PM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
>
>  +1 if nexus' team promises to fix as soon as possible any issue
>> encountered
>> in it (to not block apache releases).
>>

> We plan to take care of this part of the infrastructure and work with the
> infrastructure team. We hope that other projects will want to use this too.
> We have to support our commercial clients so it's easy to support this
> installation as well. We're setup for with QA and support folks.
>

>  cheers
>>
>> Arnaud
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  +1
>>>

>>> On 5-Feb-09, at 12:31 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:
>>>
>>> As proposed in separate threads[1][2] and Infra jira[3], we have setup a

>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>>
>>> We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
>>>
>>> -- Shakespeare

>> --
>> Arnaud
>>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com

>  -- Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society

Arnaud

Re: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
> [...]

>>> [2] Apache Infra list - I believe there are not public archives of
>>> this
>>>
>>> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1885
>>>
>>> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1890
>>>
>>> [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1891
>>>

>>> So lets vote:
>>>
>>> +1 Yes, lets lead the way at ASF with a better staging and releasing
>>> process
>>>
>>> +0 shrug
>>>
>>> -1 No, I like managing my artifacts by hand.
>>>

>>> ----------------------
>>>
>>> Brian Fox
>>>
>>> Apache Maven PMC
>>>
>>> http://blogs.sonatype.com/brian/
>>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>
>> We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

RE: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
+1 if nexus' team promises to fix as soon as possible any issue
encountered
in it (to not block apache releases).

----
Yes we will support it including mods needed, like the new security
realm and the plugin being built to make life easier.

Re: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> -repository-tt21759239.html#a21759239
>>
>> [2] Apache Infra list - I believe there are not public archives of this
>>
>> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1885
>>
>> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1890
>>
>> [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1891
>>

>> So lets vote:
>>
>> +1 Yes, lets lead the way at ASF with a better staging and releasing
>> process
>>
>> +0 shrug
>>
>> -1 No, I like managing my artifacts by hand.
>>

>> ----------------------
>>
>> Brian Fox
>>
>> Apache Maven PMC
>>
>> http://blogs.sonatype.com/brian/
>>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com
>
> We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

Arnaud

Re: [vote] use repository.zones.apache.org as the new staging/releasing location for Maven artifacts

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
+1

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Results:
+9 Brian, John, Shane, Jason, Oleg, Arnaud, Brett, Jesse, Ralph
+0 : None
-1 : None

This vote has passed.

Syncing of the Artifacts to central from the new location
(http://repository.apache.org) is already completed. I will now move the
artifacts from p.a.o and finish the rest of the steps.

--Brian