Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com> on 2010/07/23 20:09:37 UTC

Re: Continuous Integration Tool with Buildr support?

I had a thought for this thread yesterday night. Back in January, it
concluded that there was no need to have Buildr integrated with Hudson,
since most people are good with shelling out to it.

However, I recently worked with Hudson slaves, and there I must say
integration is a game changer.

Take Maven for example, you just need to give Hudson the version needed, and
the slave will auto-install the right version of Maven, without any need for
a shell access.

This becomes a very solid argument when you have three or more slaves.

Hudson is showing that a distributed architecture is the best fit, in
particular when you have CI builds that compete for resources (ports,
memory, database access, you name it).

I believe in that context that Buildr would be much more competitive if
wrapped as a Hudson plugin.

I also believe it's time we create a jar for it to distribute it :)

Antoine

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Hi Antoine,

On Jul 23, 2010, at 1:09 PM, Antoine Toulme wrote:

> I had a thought for this thread yesterday night. Back in January, it
> concluded that there was no need to have Buildr integrated with Hudson,
> since most people are good with shelling out to it.
>
> However, I recently worked with Hudson slaves, and there I must say
> integration is a game changer.
>
> Take Maven for example, you just need to give Hudson the version needed, and
> the slave will auto-install the right version of Maven, without any need for
> a shell access.
>
> This becomes a very solid argument when you have three or more slaves.
>
> Hudson is showing that a distributed architecture is the best fit, in
> particular when you have CI builds that compete for resources (ports,
> memory, database access, you name it).
>
> I believe in that context that Buildr would be much more competitive if
> wrapped as a Hudson plugin.

This is a good argument for a plugin.  Another thing that would need to be fixed for seamless automatic installs on slaves would be the required gem installer.

Rhett