Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graham Freeman <gf...@cs.adfa.edu.au> on 2000/11/29 05:39:21 UTC

URL rewriting with Tomcat/Apache

According to the Tomcat FAQ, URL rewriting should work with Tomcat 3.1
when run with Apache if the mod_rewrite is enabled and the rule included:

   <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
     RewriteEngine On
     RewriteRule  ^(/.*;jsessionid=.*)$  $1  [T=jserv-servlet]
   </IfModule>

I have not succeeded in getting this to work.  I have added the lines

     RewriteLog /usr/local/apache/logs/rewrite.log
     RewriteLogLevel 9

and I find that none of the requests from action="SessionExample" get passed
to the rewrite-module.  The only activities that are logged in the rewrite.log
file are things like
    /examples/
    /examples/index.html
which are not going to be affected by the rewrite rule and which are not
coming from my servlet execution.

Session ID is passed without problem if I use cookies.

There seems to be something that I am missing in trying to use Tomcat with
Apache.  Can anyone suggest what I should try?  I am running Linux on my
machine.  I have Java 1.3 installed, and it is Tomcat 3.1 I am trying to
get working with Apache 1.3.14

                  Graham

Re: URL rewriting with Tomcat/Apache

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Graham Freeman wrote:

> There seems to be something that I am missing in trying to use Tomcat with
> Apache.  Can anyone suggest what I should try?  I am running Linux on my
> machine.  I have Java 1.3 installed, and it is Tomcat 3.1 I am trying to
> get working with Apache 1.3.14

Upgrade to Tomcat 3.2.  This is one of a *very* large number of bugs in 3.1 that
have been addressed.

>                   Graham

Craig