Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Eric LeVin <ej...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/18 16:00:47 UTC

Problems searching index

Hi Everyone--
    So I'm not quite sure what is going on with my Lucene index, but I'm
having some issues searching.  I've created a simple little index of 10
documents as follows:

id: 1
type: Article
content: <<some content>>

id: 10
type: Article
content: <<other content>>

So I created a simple TermQuery for starters that would pull back all of
my Article types:

BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery();
bq.add(new TermQuery(new Term(FIELD_TYPE, "Article")), Occur.MUST);

I realize that I could simply do a TermQuery, but I want to be able to
add additional content constraints after I get this working.  So here is
where my confusion comes in:

If I run the query against my IndexSearcher, I get 0 results; however,
if I run it as a delete on the IndexWriter, I can open it in Luke and
see the entire index deleted.  So why would the writer be finding
documents and the searcher wouldn't?  As a note, whenever I am adding
documents, I am calling reopen() on the reader.  Here is how I'm
creating the writer/reader/searcher:

KeywordAnalyzer ka = new KeywordAnalyzer();
        analyzer.addAnalyzer(FIELD_ID, ka);
        analyzer.addAnalyzer(FIELD_TYPE, ka);
        analyzer.addAnalyzer(FIELD_CONTENT, contentAnalyser);

        indexWriter = new IndexWriter(directory, analyzer, true,
MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED);
        indexReader = IndexReader.open(directory);
        indexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(indexReader);

Any thoughts?  Thanks so much for all the help!

-Eric LeVin

Re: Problems searching index

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
Please start a new thread for a new question.

And you need to provide more info.  Here's a wild guess: your tomcat
app is looking at a different index from your standalone app.

--
Ian.

Posted by Marco Lazzara <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi everybody,

Posted by Marco Lazzara <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi everybody,
I've a problem with my searching index.
I've created a stand alone application and it works perfectly.I've put
them on tomcat launching with java web start but If I run the query(the
same query) I always obtain no result!!!!please help me!!!

Marco Lazzara

Posted by Eric LeVin <ej...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric LeVin <ej...@gmail.com>.
Thanks so much for your help Balasubramanian.  Interestingly enough, I
tried doing the following:

indexWriter.addDocument(doc);
            indexWriter.commit();
            indexWriter.optimize();

            indexReader.reopen();
            indexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(indexReader);

so that a new indexSearcher would be used after the writer has added new
documents [obviously this is NOT optimized :) but I'm just trying to get
the core functionality down first] and that still didn't work.  The idea
gave me a different thing to try though-- I created a brand new
indexSearcher from the FSDirectory and that searcher worked excellent.
Not sure why reopen and creating a new searcher wouldn't work, but I'll
look into it a little more and hopefully be able to figure something out.

Thanks!