Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "Kevin R. Coombes" <ke...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/21 23:01:08 UTC

require admin for temporary view?

Our local sysadmins (who are doing their best to train me to be
paranoid) raised a question about couchdb applications. They  are
worried about the potential for DoS attacks (and if they had their way,
would disable all POST and PUT commands on everything...).

Is it possible to configure the server to require admin (or at least
database admin) credentials in order to post a temporary view? Is it
desirable?

     Kevin

Re: require admin for temporary view?

Posted by "Kevin R. Coombes" <ke...@gmail.com>.
I don't use them myself for anything.  But the API defines them, so some
rogue user could conceivably write the equivalent of
     for each document
         emit it a million times
and cripple the server.

When I google "couchdb disable temporary view", nothing particularly
useful comes back. When you suggest disabling them, do you mean using a
proxy to block them? Or is there a couch-specific way to configure the
couch server to refuse them (either totally or conditionally on the
provision of admin credentials)?

     Kevin

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
To disable it server-wide with;

curl localhost:5984/_config/httpd_db_handlers/_temp_view -X DELETE

B.

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.