Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Sandra Parsick <sp...@web.de> on 2020/12/22 13:33:45 UTC

[Idea] Coding Guidelines for Maven Contribution Newbies

Hello dev-list,

some weeks ago, I have started creating some Pull Requests for the Maven
JLink Plugin [1]. There were many hints about coding rules or decision
which version / libs etc should be used and more. So I need some
iterations till a trivial (IMHO) PR was accepted or in one case to find
out the PR was completely unnecessary. That was a little bit frustating.
I think it would be easier for new contributor to have a guideline or
checklist of things to consider. I would love to help create such a
checklist or guideline to lower the barrier to entry for contributing. I
already discuss the idea with Ben and he has agreed to help. So what do
you think about this idea? If this idea finds approval, where is the
best place to place it?

Best regards,

Sandra

[1]
https://github.com/apache/maven-jlink-plugin/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+author%3Asparsick

Re: [Idea] Coding Guidelines for Maven Contribution Newbies

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:24 AM Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Sandra,
> hi everyone,
>
> here’s another subtopic:
>
> I recently added a comment like this: // [issue-##]: Do call method x
> because of side effect x
> But I got a review "the comment is redundant because of the git log".
> Is there a policy on where and how to put comments in the code?

There is no such policy.

As a matter of good programming, IMHO if code requires an explanation
and cannot be clarified to the point where it's self-evident, then
comments are useful. A Git comment is **not** a substitute for an
inline comment. Issue numbers are sometimes useful for problems that
are too complex to be fully elaborated in a few lines of comments,
whether in git or Java.

Whether this particular code needed a comment I don't know.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [Idea] Coding Guidelines for Maven Contribution Newbies

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
Hi Sandra,
hi everyone,

here’s another subtopic:

I recently added a comment like this: // [issue-##]: Do call method x
because of side effect x
But I got a review "the comment is redundant because of the git log".
Is there a policy on where and how to put comments in the code?

Reference:
https://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-maven-development.html

Posted by Sandra Parsick <sp...@web.de>.
> I am aware of editor-config, but it has one huge problem: you cannot refer to a centralized file.
> This means that IF we would use them, we need to keep them in sync for all ~100 repositories, which is a big no for me.
I understand your rejection. I solved this problem in one of my projects
with a Jenkins Job that replace the editor config file in all
repositories, when the centralized editor config was changed. But yes,
this is a kind of "magic" and the script has to also be maintained.

Nevertheless, I just updated the IDEA setting file, see PR [1]

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/222

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sandra Parsick <sp...@web.de>.

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
Hi Anders,

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sandra Parsick <sp...@web.de>.
Hi all,

I started a Github repository [1], where I will collect my lessons
learned. Contribution is welcome.

Regards,

Sandra

[1] https://github.com/sparsick/maven-contribution-newbie

Posted by Sandra Parsick <sp...@web.de>.

AW: [Idea] Coding Guidelines for Maven Contribution Newbies