Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/07/10 20:19:46 UTC

Re: Move deprecated plugins to archive

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Johannes Geppert <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> What about further development as a plugin outside of the Struts Project?
> We can create a project at Google Code or Github like the jQuery Plugin.

Who is "we"? If "we" is a group of Struts committers, why would "we"
take the code somewhere else, rather than working on it where it is
now? If "we" isn't Struts committers, then they can take the code and
do what they will with it, under the terms of the Apache License.

The caveat in the latter case is if there is an intent to bring the
code back to the ASF later. In that case, there just needs to be an
assurance of code provenance when it comes back (e.g. an iCLA
mechanism), and then it would need to go through a software grant or
some such process to bring it back in.

Before someone goes off and creates a separate project, though, it'd
be interesting to hear why we think contributors will appear if the
project is elsewhere, when they have not done so here for the last
several years. (Or am I mistaken and we do have patches attached that
are not being applied?)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@apache.org>.
Martin, of course you are right.

In the next days I will go to move the two deprecated plugins (codebehind
and dojo)
to the archive.

What happens with the Wiki Pages?

Johannes